Preparing for Eviction and Homelessness - a really good guide

Marjory Wildcraft
Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin
edited October 2020 in Encouragement

When I was much younger I lived on the streets. It was a great experience really, although I wasn't so sure at the time.

I also have several old friends (and a family member, ugh, not sure I want to admit that LOL) who have been living on the streets - by choice - for many years. They live in warm climates, dumpster dive for organic food at high end grocery stores, do odd jobs for spending money at thrift shops, it only costs $60 a month for a YMCA membership to bathe and workout, they enrich their minds at the public libraries, and have way more free time than I ever dreamed of. Some even grow food on public land or abandoned areas in guerilla plots. Several of them do very meaningful rewarding work for charaties.

So if you are one of the 10 to 20 million who are facing eviction in the US, I'm not going to say it's easy, but it can be better than you think.

I saw this post on another website with a bunch of very practical advice for how to prepare for eviction and homelessness. It has a good strong, positive, bent which is super important. The number one rule in survival situations is maintaining a good attitude.

I hope none of you are headed into this adventure. but if you are, It's best to accept it and prepare for it as best you can. You will get through this, and this insane period will end someday. But definitely take action and don't confuse faith that you will prevail in the end—which you can never afford to lose– with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.

Here is a really good article with lots more details on preparing for and dealing with eviction and homelessness

Comments

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

That's a great article with a lot of sound advice. It is still difficult to imagine a future now...at least as to what it will be. In general, if you are nice to people they will be nice back. Whenever I have helped someone I have ended up receiving way more help than I gave. These are the things that will bring back sanity to this upside down, crazy world we find ourselves in now.

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,615 admin

Hi @seeker.nancy - Central Texas I just don't know what the future looks like either. At this point it seems to be deterioriating a bit more each day into... more chaos? So many things out of whack and not much sense... The stock market at all time highs while there are still a million new people applying for unemployment insurance each week. FIres,hurricanes, natural disasters everywhere and many people not sure how to help or respond with COVID distancing is mandated by authorities. Tempers are flaring and no one knows what news sources to believe anymore.

I completely agree that offering help whenever we can in our circles is the best course of action. It will be repaid in bounds. That is a universal law that supercedes any form of Govt or man-made structures.

It's a time of great change for sure. I keep hearing, and believe, that once we get through this, our lives will be much, much better.