Growing Food in the community - starting a community garden?
I am thinking about a new project that I would like to start and I would like to discuss the project and ways to start this with you.
I am thinking of starting a community garden in these uncertain times. Adjectant to our church there is this big big lawn area that is or no use but just sitting there and producing nothing.
I am thinking of asking the church for support on transforming this ground to a community garden, maybe something like a coop or CSA paid by work instead of money. The aim would be to produce local grown food and provide it to the community. Maybe have some interested people have their own bed to grow food they like.
And there is an abandoned nursery with at least three greenhouses close by that would fit in to grow more food and starts.
What do you think of this project?
How would you tackle it and what should I consider?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter