Ripening Fresh Peaches

I got very lucky today and was asked if I would like a bushel of organic fresh peaches. Seems an organic grower from Virginia was visiting a local 100% beef farmer who is local and he had some extra crops in his vehicle.

I jumped at that chance. They really are beautiful peaches considering they are organic. (If you don't know why I say that, seems peaches are one of the hardest fresh fruits to grow organically I am told from lots of sources).

So got them home and checking them out and many of them are not ripe enough yet...not green but still to firm. Any suggestions how I can get this many peaches to ripen all approximately at the same time? I would like to can them, or maybe freeze them, this coming week but I need them to ripen continuously, not scattered all over the next week or so.

Comments

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the paper bag trick works for peaches. Just close them up in bags and leave on the counter. I'd probably only put 4 in a bag. I've heard that adding a banana to the bag speeds things up.

I make a nice peach cordial, chopping a couple of nice juicy ones into a quart jar, covering with simple syrup, and then filling to the top with brandy. Shake every day for a couple of weeks, then strain out the fruit (add it to a crisp or cobbler?).

It will mellow as it ages, and you can always add more simple syrup or brandy to get the taste you like.

• Ferg
    Ferg Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Apples give off ethylene gas which causes things to ripen up quickly. So put some peaches with an apple in a bag. But watch them. They can also go bad quickly.

although, peaches are also ethylene producers, so just putting them in a bag should be ok. Here's a cool document:

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Paper bag trick works well. I have used it a few times.

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

Well the consensus here is the same so I did put them in a paper bag this morning (I put a lot more than 4 in a bag though - probably closer to 15 per bag) and I just added an apple to two bags and left two bags with no apple so I guess we will see how well it works.

Thanks everybody!

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

I use the paper bag trick to ripen pears and avocados, also. I buy green bananas anytime I get pears or avocados, stick them all in a paper bag together, and close it up with a clip to make sure it stays closed. Within a few days, the fruit all gets nicely ripe. I did actually try this with an apple just the other day because I didn't have any green bananas, and that seemed to work just fine, too!

• greyfurball
    greyfurball Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭

Well, the paper bag trick did the ripening process. Actually about a half dozen of the peaches had ripened so much they had already started into the spoiling phase (mushy, fuzzy and rotting already).

It was amazing to me, yesterday morning they were as hard as rocks,,,this morning they were excellent taste, texture and flavor.

So the two bags without the apples were actually just as well as the two bags with the apples.

I decided to freeze them this year since they were at the perfect stage of hand-peeling and then pre-freezing so I could pack in freezer bags without them all sticking together. Thanks everybody for your help!

• Janelle Keith
    Janelle Keith Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

I learned the paper bag trick this year too. We had to pick the peaches off the trees before they were totally ripe - or the Japanese beetles were going to get them all this year. I used a large paper bag and put a layer of peaches in each. Probably going to use this method next time around as it always seems like we are fighting bugs around harvest time. This was a great method to get perfectly ripened peaches for canning and eating.