The power of succession planting

I am always amazed at what is possible if you time your plantings and showings right and are able to so succession planting.

This is my bulb fenel which I popped in directly after clearing out kohlrabi and sugar pees.

Prior I had some Radishes.

I will start sowing spinach or carrots in between the fennel in some weeks to get them going and have them established when harvesting the fennel.

What is your experience with succession planting and interplanting

Comments

• John
    John Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

Super! Do something similar here and also having success. Got stuff covered tonight as a early frost and freeze is forecast for my area and points North in Wisconsin.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

I have had some success with quick rotation like you are talking about but I do best with interplanting perennials and annuals. My leeks did beautifully planted among the artemisia this year, currently chard, sunflowers and rhubarb are making a big show in the back yard.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jens Wow looks great and I love Fennel.

• Ferg
    Ferg Posts: 285 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

yummm fennel. I love to grill it !

Succession planting is so cool when it works! Your garden looks so lovely, @Jens

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

There are so many ways to look at this.

We plant carrots every two weeks in the growing season. Then we'll follow with greens, tomatoes and then a cover crop.

We are developing each garden bed to produce three harvests per season. Like edible flower, herbs and a fruit or veggie.

We mix in perennial pocket planters for the beneficial cruiser habitats. Like each row has an end cap of either compost or flowers and herbs.

I geeked out and made speadsheets for all my garden plots. I want to track pounds harvested. :)

Lookibg forward to hearing about what's working.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭

@Hassena I have successfully planted peas with green beans to take over. It is really fun to plan succession plantings. I am not sure what I will plant after peas next year. I haven't planned my garden yet. I should be able to plant on the east side of the apartment too. There are several things that need to be moved first.

This Week's Leaders