Starting on freezer meals

I'm starting to work on assembling this winter's freezer meals. I will be skimming through the recipes to see what might work better in the Instant Pot vs the crockpot. But, I'll be doing both.

Here's one of my "go-to" sites.

Another site that I use a lot is:

Tagged:

Comments

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

What do you store them in?

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use ziploc bags, so that I can freeze them somewhat flat. Have yet to decide how to freeze things destined for InstantPot. Looking at options.

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@RustBeltCowgirl i will have to check out those sites for new ideas. My 90 day meal prep is at the end of September so I have sometime.

I freeze a lot of my meals with a sauce base in freezer Tupperware because I found the bags will mold together if they are all frozen at once. I do like to put separated ingredients into bags and then all those small bags into one large ziplock or plastic container. The containers take up more room and I prefer to label the bags oppose to a sticker label that either peels off or is a pain to get off later when I use containers. Maybe I should put my containers into a ziplock! Lol

• Ethereal Earth
    Ethereal Earth Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

My mom does this with a curry chicken and coconut, shepard's pie, bolognese sauce, and chili cornbread pie. If those sound interesting I can grab the recipes from her!

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I generally make large amounts of food for my husband and myself. I siphon off part of the meal and freeze it for a day when we need a quick meal.

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

Once or twice a year I get together with my daughter and we make a bunch of freezer meals. It's a lot of work, but having those meals on hand for busy days has been worth every bit of it. We only use "dump and go" recipes that don't require any cooking and make multiples of a recipe. Then use a food saver to vacuum seal them. I wish I had known about this when my kids were younger; it would have been such a help during the "running days" where we always had to be somewhere for kid activities.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only have myself to cook for, but I love to freeze extra portions for leftovers later on. I make meatloaf in muffin tins so that I can wrap portions and freeze. I put soups and casseroles in zip lock bags, but only enough for 1 meal.

I also tried that with cheesecake. It freezes well, but I have no self control.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mary Linda Bittle I agree about lack of willpower. Things like cheesecake and cake will be eaten frozen in my house.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do a lot of "once a month" freezer meals, though not as often as I did when I had to drive to an outside job every day.

The book by Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg turned me on to the idea of doing a lot of cooking one or two days so that I could just pull one out of the freezer on busy work days. I supplemented the recipes from One A Month Cooking" with some Mediterranean meals from The Sonoma Diet cookbook.

Now that I am self-employed from a home office, I don't use the once a month meals as often, but they are still handy on days that I'm very busy or tired.

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

This time of year I stock up on apple pies and pot pies! I haven't done soups but am going to try split pea and ham and cream of potato.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I don't make deliberate freezer meals, but both my mom and myself frequently make a few more servings than we need and freeze some of it. I nearly always do so with baked goods- leave out a couple of cookies to eat in the next day or so, and freeze the rest.

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

I know what you mean! Sometimes, it's easy to forget about vegetables in the back of the freezer, but not cheesecake!

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

@VermontCathy I have that book as well. I loved making those meals and having them at the ready for my family. I still use those recipes for making one meal instead of 30. I think I'll get that book out again and make some meals on my next day off. Love it!

• Grounded
    Grounded Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

We freeze a lot of different soups, broccoli, cauliflower, vegetable, squash, zucchini, carrot, just to name a few. We also freeze leftovers, or food made in large batches, enchiladas, beans and rice, pancakes, waffles, the list goes on and on.

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am starting to make up more frozen meals. At times I need to ease and comfort of being able to pull something out of the freezer and not have to think.

I have a few links I am going to look at for crock pot freezer meals.