Adding Magnesium to Soil

silvertipgrizz
silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please comment as to what you might do different.

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Well, after reading this, it looks like I should be treating one of my roses. Its leaves have lost a lot of their green this year. It is in an isolated spot in the yard with little else growing near it so no indications of magnesium deficiency in any other part of my property. I will try some Epsom salts cause that is what I have on hand. It hasn't had any fertilizer of any kind since I planted it many years ago.

I think the best advice in this article is to get a soil test done. I know that the soil in my area tend to be very alkaline but each individual garden can be much different depending on how much work has been done to the land. Our garden soil has had lots of amendments over the years in the way of peat, manures (of various kinds) and compost, so it is much less alkaline that the surrounding soil.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@torey thanks for your post...and for mentioning 'no fertilizer since planting it'...I have a rosemary bush, a large one in a tub that is on the front porch (for bolcking cold wind in the winter).....and all my other plants are in the back yard so I forget to water it like I should...still beautiful though...but I never remember to feed it or else it would be so big and prolific that I would have gobs to store and gobs to giveaway....