How do you process horsetail?

I would love to hear from anyone who has actually processed and used horsetail. For those of you who happen to be unaware -- horsetail is a plant that can be used for dental care. I have just been feeling a little Leary of using it because the fibers, when dry, kind of scare me. I have asthma and have suffered many respiratory issues.

Comments

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

I have a lovely horsetail patch.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some growing as well. I haven't tried to dry it or do anything with it yet. I'll be interested in what people comment.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

I dry it, powder it and chew half a tea spoon after a meal once a day to clean my teeth, to strengthen my bones, hair, skin and nails.

• I tinctured dried horsetail and take a dropper full (about 1 ml) twice daily. After finishing a 30 ml bottle I typically wait a couple of days to a week before starting again. This is because I am a procrastinator 😂

• KimWilson

@seeker.nancy - Central Texas so how small are the pieces that you tincture? I am kind of cautious about grinding horsetail as I have lung issues and thus am careful about how I process such things.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I cut up freshly harvested horsetail and cover with ACV. I think vinegar does a very good job of extracting the minerals from horsetail. It can be used in salad dressings which may make it easier to take. Horsetail vinegar makes a great hair rinse.

• solarnoon.aspen
    solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I am so glad of this discussion. I wild-harvested lots just recently and am drying. Btw I tried growing it in pots so it wouldn't take over the yard, with limited success. From what I gather, a person can use a coffee grinder to make it to powder. I understand the problem you would have with that, KimWilson.

I really like the idea of ACV, torey . Think I'll try that.

• @KimWilson I bought it "cut and sifted" as a dry herb. It's on my list to grow but I have to make a suitable micro climate for it. I would probably cut it small as fresh then dry it before tincturing. I do like the ACV idea from @torey also.

• KimWilson

Thanks for all of the comments on horsetail. I will cut some into small pieces and tincture it from there. I hadn't considered using it in tincture form.

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

I you do grind it wear a very good dust mask and wait for the dust to settle before opening coffee grinder. dont know if tinctures or in vinegar it will have the same effects medicinally havent done that much study on it. i do know you have to becareful where you harvest it like along irrigation canals because it picks up alot of nitrates and be toxic

• moreyshadypines
    moreyshadypines Posts: 72 ✭✭✭

Thank you everyone for the detailed comments. I had watched the video and wanted to get some started, without knowing how exactly it works. I'll take some of your suggestions. What a powerful team is on this forum! Thank you.