Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

RECALL Oct 23, 2020: Dog and Cat food — The Grow Network Community
WHAT'S CHANGING IN 2021 AND HOW TO NAVIGATE IT
a free community call lead by Marjory Wildcraft this Sunday, January 24 at 2pm CST

register here➥ howtopreparefor2021.com

RECALL Oct 23, 2020: Dog and Cat food

silvertipgrizzsilvertipgrizz Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2020 in Other News

Comments

• MelindaMelinda Greater Atlanta AreaPosts: 124 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the heads up.

• silvertipgrizzsilvertipgrizz Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

posted as soon as I saw it...check the link and copy it for yourself so you can get it too...who knows you or somone else on the list might see it before me and post it before anyone misses it and winds up feeding it to their beloved fur family..

• RustBeltCowgirlRustBeltCowgirl North Coast OhioPosts: 501 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the heads up. I was holding my breath that it wasn't Science Diet Senior Cat Food, which is currently being fed to mine.

Don't forget to pass it on.

you're welcome! I have cats too...

• OhiohillsLouiseOhiohillsLouise Posts: 121 ✭✭✭

Every time I hear about a recall, I am glad I grow much of my own food, including for my dog.

• Thank you!

• bcabrobinbcabrobin Posts: 221 ✭✭✭

I need a sad button!

I don't want to vote you down for sharing this - in fact I'm so happy you did but it makes me so sad that it had to be shared at all.

• FergFerg Currently United States, Appalachia. Previously Great Lakes, GNYMA, Germany.Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

@OhiohillsLouise at one point, I made all of my pet's food. Made or purchased from a local farmer. Cats are obligate carnivores, so it's not difficult. Had all my recipes looked over by a holistic practicioner, since at the time I was new to it.

Hoping at some point I will get back to that!

@Ferg So please share some of your cat recipes. I absolutely hate giving my cats store bought junk esp the aweful kibbles.

• CorneliusCornelius Posts: 223 ✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing! Fortunately not the one I use.

@Ferg Please share your pet food recipes so that way I can make my dogs food if I can't buy it ( thank you pandemic).

• DesireeDesiree Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

@Ferg I, too, was preparing my dog food for many years. I had a Jack Russell with some health issues and after a major scare and a costly vet visit at OSU in Columbus the recommendation was a homemade diet. It wasn't hard as I could make a large batch and freeze it. Sadly, she passed at the age of 18, but her healthy diet kept her going for about eight of those years. I only have my middle aged cat now but I have always been afraid to try the homemade diet out of fear of not knowing what was best. He is FIV positive and that factors into it.

• FergFerg Currently United States, Appalachia. Previously Great Lakes, GNYMA, Germany.Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

We've got an FIV+ cat as well, @Desiree - well, my ex has him now; he's a RUssian Blue and he's doing really well. Such a sweet cat. He must be about 8 now.

I started making homemade food for one of my animals as well, in my case my LongTime companian kitty. He was getting old and picky and arthritis was really bothering him. I froze batches, pressure canned batches, it was nice. We kept it up for the other kitties as they were all old by then; I even used the autoclave at work in Germany to make food for my World Traveling Kitty. For cats, you just have to make sure they get their taurine; liver is an excellent source. I also did the raw thing for the non-FIV+ kitties.

You're a good furr-baby Mama!

@Cornelius - dog food is easier than kitty food, because of the taurine thing. I never made dog food, so I don't have recipes handy (most of my books are in storage). But here's one recipe from a holistic vet :

I like the integrative vets when I can find them; at the moment, the vet I used is just as good even though she isn't technically part of this organization. If you are interested, here's a link:

https://www.ahvma.org/

@silvertipgrizz - I will dig through my notebooks in the next days.

@Ferg when ever you have the time and I surely appreciate it!

here is the most-cats-liked recipe. I don't use grain anymore, but if your cat needs to put on weight it might not be bad to add brown rice or oatmeal. I put the yogurt in after it's cooled a bit to avoid killing the good stuff.

here is a joint support type

• ltwickeyltwickey Posts: 244 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the post!

• Melissa SwartzMelissa Swartz Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

@Ferg What is mullein olive oil? Is it olive oil infused with mullein leaves?

• dimck421dimck421 Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the information. I remember as a teen, seeing hair (from rodents) in the freshly opened dog food, not thinking much of it. WHAT?! It was so common, it seemed "normal". Sad what some companies pass of as pet food.

@Melissa Swartz Yes, sorry. Mullein oil is olive oil infused with mullein leaves, or flowers, or both.

@dimck421 all i can say to that is 'ewwwww', but there's no 'ewwwwww' button to push. Thankfully I've never seen that.

Oddly, probably the healthiest food for our pets is to take some freshly killed small animals and throw them in a blender.

• GroundedGrounded Posts: 154 ✭✭✭

We lost one dog to the Chinese additives added to U.S. dog foods back 13-14 years ago. Out next dog did not eat any store bought dog food and she was healthy and active until cancer took her at age 12. After losing our first dog, I did some online research and was disgusted at what is in prepared animal foods. There is little to no regulation on the animal "chow" industry.

I usually made enough for at least several days (trying to keep it fresh) Combinations of red meat, chicken, fish, veggies, rice, etc. We didn't get too scientific about it and after losing our second dog, maybe I should have.

Just like for humans, sourcing of food is important. We all eat what our food has eaten and in a lot of cases, it isn't healthy.

• dimck421dimck421 Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

@Ferg you are totally right. My dogs get quite a bit of eggs, boiled, scrambled,...eggs.

• Brueck.irisBrueck.iris New ZealandPosts: 136 ✭✭✭

I agree. There are so many recalls nowadays, you wonder if there is anything going right.

• annflancanannflancan Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

My mom, who is 78, always tells me that when she was a kid they never bought food for the family dog or cat. They always got leftovers and they lived long healthy lives.

• JohnJohn Posts: 156 ✭✭✭

10-4 Thanks for sounding the alarm!