Recipe?

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,461 admin

Is coffee gravy like red eye gravy?

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

http://www.yummly.com/recipe/Granny_s-Chocolate-Gravy-1035778

Must say not familiar with these gravy recipes must be an American thing.

@judsoncarroll4 I think you’re right about red eye/coffee gravy. One I saw was bacon fat and coffee( I’m having trouble with that!)

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

I had dinner at a very high end restaurant a few years ago and had bison short ribs done in a chocolate gravy. It was delicious! Not particularly chocolatey, although you could tell it was there. I have tried to duplicate it a couple of times but haven't quite got it. Some of the recipes I see online call for sugar in chocolate gravy but this dish definitely didn't have any sweetness. I'm sure bitter chocolate was used.

I have never had red-eye gravy. Interesting concept, using coffee to de-glaze the pan.

I'll be following, to see what others come up with.

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

@jodienancarrow think of red eye/coffee gravy as a form of bulletproof coffee? ;) Coffee rubs are popular on meats right now. Especially if they are going to be smoked. @torey there are so many nuanced ways with food in high end restaurants...using techniques and ingredients we either don't have access to or don't have the tools or time to create. But it's always fun to try!

• judsoncarroll4

I prefer red eye gravy made with country ham.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 That's how my grandmother made it but I never got her recipe...it didn't even sound good when I was a child and my granny has been gone for a long time...so thank for the recipe.

• judsoncarroll4

Sure! Yeah, it is pretty good. I prefer it over buttered grits with some fresh chopped tomato and cucumber and plenty of black pepper.

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 My goodness that sounds amazing and interesting. I’m going to have to try that. Thanks so much for sharing this.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 When I visited Nashville, I had to eat breakfast at the famous Loveless Cafe so that I could try their ham and red-eye gravy. It was wonderful. The gravy recipe isn't here, but I see that a bunch of their recipes are online! Think I'm gonna have to try out some of these!

• Ferg
    Ferg Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

I've had chocolate "SOME WORD THAT COULD BE SAUCE OR GRAVY, not to start the argument over cultural/dialectual differences in what constitutes 'sauce' and what constitutes 'gravy'" that was really wonderful over chicken; not sweet but spicy.

Mole Recipe

Makes enough for smothering one chicken or a pork shoulder, previously cooked.

Recipes adapted from The Sweet Life in Paris (Broadway Books) by David Lebovitz

5 dried ancho dried chiles

1 small onion, peeled and chopped

1 clove garlic peeled and chopped

1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon, ground cloves, dried oregano, powdered cumin, ground coriander, ground anise seeds

1/3 cup (55g) sliced almonds,

1-2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped

1/4 cup (40g) raisins or diced prunes

1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste

freshly ground pepper

1 cup (250ml) water (or more as needed)

1 oz (30g) unsweetened chocolate, melted

1. Remove the seeds and stems from the chiles and soak them in very hot water until soft, about 30 minutes or so. (Make sure they’re submerged by setting a lightweight bowl on top of the chiles.) When softened, puree the chiles in a blender. If the skins are tough, you may want to pass the puree though a food mill or strainer.

2. In a small skillet, sauté onion in vegetable oil until soft and translucent. Add garlic and sauté another minute. Add spices and herbs and cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds, being careful not to let them burn.

3. Add to the chile puree in the blender, the almonds, the cooked onions and garlic, tomatoes, raisins or prunes, sesame seeds, salt, pepper, water, and melted chocolate, then puree until smooth.

4. Add additional water, if necessary, until the consistency is smooth and slightly pourable.

Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.

To make Chicken with Mole Sauce:

1. Begin with one chicken cut into six or eight portions. Brown the poultry pieces quite well in a large casserole in vegetable oil. Once browned, remove the chicken pieces from the pan and saute one chopped onion in the casserole and cook until translucent. Deglaze the casserole with some wine or stock, and scrape in any browned bits from the bottom with a flat wooden spatula.

2. Add the chicken back to the casserole along with a cinnamon stick or two, and add enough chicken stock, water, or white wine to cover chicken pieces. Cover the casserole, and gently simmer chicken until tender throughout.

3. Once cooked, remove chicken pieces from the liquid and arrange them in a shallow baking dish. Smear chicken pieces generously with mole and bake in a moderate oven, turning once or twice during baking, for about 30 minutes. Serve with a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds.

• judsoncarroll4

Moles are a particular interest of mine. I dated Mexican girl for a while. Her family was first generation immigrants. I really got into authentic Mexican cooking. Moles can be incredibly complex or moderately simple - great variety. The cooking of Oaxaca is among the most advanced in terms of flavor profile, in the world... but very simple in terms of not using a lot of modern appliances and gadgets.

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 

I love Moles. There are so many different versions. I learned to good one from a Mexican grandmother--who also shared a story of origin. A bishop was going to visit a poor parish. The parish did not have anything fit for the visit, and so they took a bit of everything they had and made it into a sauce, after by a prayer and divine inspiration. The fancy fella from the city loved it-and mole became a tradition. No idea if it is true, but the one she taught me to make had over 20 ingredients. Part of what I love it that it embodies the country ethic: use what you have, grow it yourself, fill it with love--and it will turn out fit for a King (or Bishop).

• herbantherapy
    herbantherapy Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

@ferg I had a delicious chocolate mole in a restaurant in Seattle once and have yet to find its champion anywhere. I will have to give your recipe a try!!

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭

Chocolate gravy made with homemade bone broth - healthy and delicious! Better alternative for pouring over desserts like ice cream as well!