cider press question

Annie Kate
Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

We have never made apple cider but would like to. What kind of a homemade press is best, or is commercial better, or can one use a juicer?

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,455 admin

I have a great old cast iron press, but it is a beast and it takes a lot of effort. It really depends on how much you'll be making. My ggg grandfather made a big one just by hollowing out a tree trunk, canoe style. One end was raised higher than the other and there was a hole in the lower end. It would be filled with fruit and the big mallets and paddles were used to crush and press out the juice. So, with that in mind, I don't see why a food grade bucket and a sledge hammer wouldn't work just fine to crush the fruit - put a clean pillow case over another bucker and pour the juice into it, then twist up the pillow case to press the juice out of the pulp.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,623 admin

Agreed that cider presses are beasts to operate and clean afterwards. But they are great if you have large quantities of apples to do. We used a neighbour's press a couple of years ago cause we had over 400 lbs of apples. I think you could easily do it as @judsoncarroll4 has suggested, if you are using a smaller amount of apples.

• SherryA
    SherryA Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

Seems to me a juicer would work fine for smaller amounts. The cider press I've used in the past was really expensive and we used it only for hundreds of pounds of apples.

• Annie Kate

Thanks @judsoncarroll4. That all makes good sense; I love not having extra tools to store, maintain, clean, and, of course, buy or make. :)

Your method should work; I wouldn't be making huge quantities anyhow. Thank you @torey and @SherryA for pointing out that it's helpful to consider how much I'd be making.

Besides, I'm thinking of trying ac vinegar with cores and peels as was being discussed elsewhere.

• SherryA

@Annie Kate I made my first batch with cores & peels. Worked great! Then I started using mash from the cider press. That worked great too! I made apple cider vinegar in 5 gallon buckets.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Annie Kate I would love to hear how you made the AC vinegar this way. I have tried twice. First time was going well except we had a mishap and a valve was left partially open on my container. I came home to find my ACV all over my floor. The second time something else went wrong and it molded before it even got much fermenting started.

• Annie Kate

@SherryA Does your 5 gallon bucket have a spigot? Or do you pour/ladle it out?

• SherryA
    edited September 2020

@Annie Kate I poured it all into another big bucket through a strainer with a towel over it, and then poured it into smaller bottles for use. I just used regular 5 gallon buckets to make the cider in, but I did make sure they were food grade. It took about a year before the acidity of the cider would get up close to 5%.

• Annie Kate

Thank you for saying exactly how you did it, @SherryA. It's those details which always get me. :)