Home Emergency Preparedness: hurricane and tornado

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

Thanks @silvertipgrizz. It is good to have this knowledge. This will be good to keep in mind for next year.

I am thinking that our tornado season is now done. Two busts for storm chasers in the last two tornado warned storms, and now we are into our cold, windy fall weather.

Are the hurricanes still being a threat? I don't remember how long the season usually lasts to the south.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning

The Atlantic hurricane season runs from June 1st to November 30th, and the Eastern Pacific hurricane season runs from May 15th to November 30th. The Atlantic basin includes the Atlantic Ocean, Caribbean Sea, and Gulf of Mexico. The Eastern Pacific basin extends to 140°W.

As for tornados...they have their way with Oklahoma whenever they want..🙁

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

@silvertipgrizz Thanks. Now I know.

Yes, we are always amazed to hear of the tornadoes down south in the middle of winter. We get the big blizzards then, and occasionally thundersnow (lightning in snowstorms), but tornadoes are no longer a possibility when the air gets cold up here.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

@silvertipgrizz Thanks for posting this article. Very important information to keep bringing to the forefront! Complacency sets in quickly.

A couple of things not mentioned under "Likely Emergencies". Fire. Huge threat in many areas causing mass evacuations. Ice storms/blizzards. These can trap people in their homes without services for many days.

I would add, under the First Aid Kit section, take a First Aid course!

I attended an online holistic disaster relief summit in 2018 that was put on after the California wildfires and following are some of the things I took away from it as well as my personal experiences in fire seasons in my area.

Chargers for phones, I-pads, GPS, etc., should be in the list of emergency supplies. Cell towers may or may not work during an emergency but it is always good to be able to charge these devices. They can be of much more use than just communication. I didn't think this was necessary but I was wrong. Our VFD was the recipient of a box of phone chargers during one of our evacuations. I didn't take one as I am not a big cell phone person (I still have a flip phone), but within 24 hours, I was back to get one and it remained beside me for the next two weeks. Small chargers are relatively inexpensive. Also get one of the plug ins that works on your car power outlet (cigarette lighter). Backup discs/hard drives for your computer should be with the list of important papers.

On the list with prescription medications, I would add vitamins, minerals and other supplements. When you are under high stress such as loss of services or evacuations, you may not eat properly or just may need more than what you are getting in your food so supplements can help keep up your immune system, increase your resistance to stress and boost your stamina for times when you really need it. A Vitamin B-complex will offer vagus nerve support. Vitamins C & D support the immune system and the andrenals. Adaptogens will help with stress. Zinc may help with stress and social anxiety in large groups. Digestive enzymes; you may not be eating properly or eating foods you are not accustomed to. Omega's to help prevent oxidative stress. Anxiolytic herbs to cope with anxiety and stress.

Be aware of environmental issues following a disaster. Smoke from fires can be extremely toxic. Mould and mildew are issues following floods and storms. Earthquakes can rupture delivery lines and tanks causing HazMat spills. Power may damage appliances or electronics when there are surges.

Take care of your mental health by packing some personal comfort items. Your favourite teas might not be available if you are in an evacuation centre and you would be surprised how much comfort you can get from something familiar like your favourite tea or a favourite chocolate bar. Again, anxiolytic herbs or teas can help reduce the stress surrounding disasters and/or evacuations. Especially important to have comfort items for kids. Favourite granola bars, small toys (travel games), etc. Following up with mental health is very important after the fact. You will likely go through peaks and valleys of emotions following an event. I watched a lot of people suffer following our fire seasons, but it is difficult to bring that realisation to some people. Mental health injuries are not as easily recognised or acknowledged as a physical injury.

Stay Safe Everyone!

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having grown up - and now returned to - tornado country, I try always to have basics ready to grab and run at a moment's notice. I have to think of the dog and cat, too, so I have travel boxes and their needs ready to go.

I've also personally experienced ice storms, blizzards, floods, nearby wildfires, and small earthquakes. The ice storms probably caused me the most aggravation, but but being prepared was key to being relatively comfortable. (I had to keep refusing rescue from well-meaning friends who were not nearly as well prepared as I was!) The fire was super scary for me, but never got closer than 3 miles from town. It was under constant tending by fire crews for 3 weeks, though. The smoke was horrible.

I like to do at least a little training every year to keep sharp, and I keep my CPR and First Aid certification up to date.

I've found free courses on Coursera.com, in emergency planning. The CDC site usually has pretty good emergency trainings available. FEMA, too. I take what I can use and ignore the rest. And all these herbal courses are great! Thanks for posting this one!

My first aid kit is a backpack, filled with smaller bags that I can break out for my hiking and tracking trips, or for camping, fishing, etc. I need to update the personal papers, but otherwise I'm ready to roll with short notice.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

The latest e-mail from TGN has a link to join the Natural Medicine at Home Master Class. one of the Freebies that goes with it is a Natural First Aid e-book. Very good suggestions for items to have on hand for everyday or an emergency situation such as natural disasters.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning The year Elvis Pressley died, we had a tornado in December (in Oklahoma). And it was cold with a warm air front butting its head with the cold....

I was told when I lived in AK that there were no tornadoes there...I saw one as it went from one end of Fairbanks to the other...

I have also heard thunder snow lol here in Okla.. And 'tornado fires' all around Fairbanks.