Hawthorn: Tell Me More
We are seeing the bright fruit of hawthorn everywhere lately and have seen some on organic land. We most likely will easily be able to get access to harvest them.
Tell me more. When is the best time to harvest the berries, leaves (I read use only young ones), flowers (buds, young, are old not okay)? It is fall here & our first frost is likely tomorrow night. What do we need to be careful about (seeds, other)? When do we remove the seeds, before or after cooking?
About preservation: How do you go about doing a tincture? Do you leave the seeds in or remove them?
I know a little about hawthorn, but I want you to pretend that I know absolutely nothing about this shrub. Teach me everything you know. I want to do this right.
I found these recipes below, including jelly, but still prefer answers and input from all of you here.
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 56 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 341 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 452 Current Events & Breaking News
- 47 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.3K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 508 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 38 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 517 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 391 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 103 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter