Beef Burrito Skillet: What's for Dinner?

2»

Comments

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

It's funny -- I never liked meatloaf growing up, but my husband's mother has a really fantastic recipe that I was introduced to after we got married. I now really enjoy meatloaf made from that recipe, with mashed potatoes, corn, and (if we've got 'em) homegrown tomatoes with salt and pepper. Yum!

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

@blevinandwomba I actually just came across a good-looking recipe for pulled pork that I'm going to try to throw in the crock pot this afternoon. My plan is to let it cook on low for about 24 hours -- maybe 12 hours/overnight, then shred it and put it back in the pot, then let it keep cooking until it's time for dinner. Okay, now I'm wishing I had put it in to cook yesterday so we could have it for dinner tonight..... This is sounding pretty good. :D

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

For whatever reason I had a hankering for tuna mornay. Hadn’t made it in years. Threw in a tin of salmon, didn’t have tuna and I have to say it was pretty good. Enough left over for tonight as well + fresh garden salad.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Marinated pork loin with buttered peas and carrots. Tomorrow will be chicken fettucine alfredo.

• KimWilson
    KimWilson Posts: 197 ✭✭✭

@Ruth Ann Reyes That food looks so good! About the green beans -- does your recipe require that you deep fry the green beans? I would love to have a recipe.

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

Our chickens have provided us with great eggs, so we'll be having French Toast and bacon for dinner tonight. Does anyone else do breakfast food for dinner? 😊

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

Venison bacon burgers here! When my husband gets a deer we process the meat ourselves. It is really fun to experiment with different additions to the burgers. I think I'm going to put fresh jalapenos in them tonight. Anyone have any better ideas?

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

@lewis.mary.e Yes, we do breakfast dinners all the time as I don't like breakfast foods for breakfast. I prefer leftovers or regular dinner items for breakfast. You can't beat eggs for a meal - inexpensive, versatile, and quick. Yum! That was about the only thing my mother-in-law and I agreed on.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

@lewis.mary.e Welcome to TGN's forum. We had breakfast for dinner last night. Some wonderful Jalepeno & Cheddar sausages (from a local Hutterite colony) with fried eggs & toast.

• sudborough
    sudborough Posts: 36 ✭✭✭

thinking it'll be freshly fermented kraut, sausages & mashers?

• Angel
    Angel Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

I was excited that most of today's dinner came from our garden. I cooked one of our meat chickens and the green beans I grew. Onions from a friend were included, and we had cornbread, too.

• Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I canned spaghetti sauce earlier today and we had some of the leftovers and it was so delicious! I like canning my own sauce because a lot of the store bought have sugar and who knows what else. I still have 25 pounds of tomatoes I need to can, but can't decide what to do with them.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Tonight its an Indian style acorn squash and kala chana( dark chickpeas) stew. It's seasoned with caramalized onions, tomatoes, ginger, garlic, and a mix of spices. Very good and very "Fall".

• RustBeltCowgirl

Turkey, butternut squash (disguised as mashed sweet potatoes) and leftover peas and carrots.

Why disguise the butternut squash? Dad's reluctance to try new veggies. He likes mashed sweet potatoes.

• Momma Mo
    Momma Mo Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

I'm a Texas girl, and the potato soup I grew up on was made from potatoes, onions, milk, and butter! Today, we are having enchiladas, Mexican squash, and guacamole. Last night was dirty rice and fried alligator tail!

• RustBeltCowgirl

The butternut squash went over okay. I treated it just like the sweet potatoes, a little half-n-half, butter and brown sugar.

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

I don't know if you know this, but Butternut squash is great for pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread! Use the squash instead of pumpkin. 😀

• RustBeltCowgirl

Yes, I did. It's amazing what type of squash is actually in a can of pumpkin pie filling.

I was just playing off the color, in order to give it to Dad for dinner. Looks like sweet potato or pumpkin.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Sort of minestrone was dinner tonight. I wanted to make it while I could still get a good variety of local vegetables, though some of them came from the grocery store. I put in kale, swiss chard, and green beans from my garden; eggplant, bell peppers from local farms, and carrots, celery, onions, garlic, canned tomatoes and mushrooms from the store. Also put in some beans I had previously cooked and frozen- baby limas, lentils, and some undentified white bean. ( I was going to put cabbage in but I forgot.) Also a hot pepper from my co-worker; that made all the difference. I was pretty tired when I was making this, and did not think to taste the pepper before putting it in. It was a pretty big pepper, so I figured it wouldn't be very hot, especially in a whole pot of soup. Well, this is one sinus clearing pot of soup. Very tasty blend of flavors but awwwful hot. I think I'll be adding pasta or potatoes tomorrow.

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jodienancarrow Thanks! That looks really good, and the site is new to me so double thanks 🤩

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,461 admin
    edited October 2020

Tacos tonight... I LOVE tacos! With fresh guacamole, pico and habanero/citrus sauce! Time to press tortillas (like the old commercial, "time to make the doughnuts"). Now... the question, do I make queso sauce? Yes, I think I will! I do mine like a béchamel with tones of grated cheese, some pickled peppers, all hot and gooey. May as well do some refried pinto beans too... or black beans... yeah, that may be nicer with the habanero sauce! Good, dark beer. If only I had someone to share a meal like this with.... a single lady under the age of 30 or so would be nice....

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 awesome sounding meal!! Here's hoping you meet your someone special soon! 💘

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

Tonight we are having my Triple-cooked Pork Hocks. Right now, they are being browned in a frying pan. Then they will be going into a casserole dish with white wine, some homemade veggie stock, onions, garlic, celery, a carrot, a few herbs and some heat. They will simmer in my wood over for 2-3 hours. Next, I will remove the meat from the bone and smother it will a sauce (undecided as to what flavour of sauce at the moment) and stick it under the broiler. I think we will have roasted veg with it and I am going to add a big serving of sauerkraut along with mine. Husband is not so fond of that. Maybe I'll make a coleslaw for him with a freshly slain red cabbage. On, now I might have to have that, too.