"The Need to Grow" Documentary

Desiree
Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Other Courses

I highly recommend watching this 90 minute movie. I was very impressed with the information provided. This was a project that took five years to make and was very well done.

I don't want to spoil your viewing by offering too much information but it is worth watching

Comments

• andrea745
    andrea745 Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

I am going to watch it this weekend. I heard it was available for FREE until the 14th. I think I might have seen it before during another preview time. I will see if it is the same one. thank you for sharing.

• dipat2005
    dipat2005 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭✭

@Desiree I have seen this documentary before and it is excellent and gives people great ideas for what to do next time you put in a

garden. I really enjoyed watching this documentary and it was worth the time

• Thank you for reminding me! I've been meaning to watch it for a while now but just haven't found an opportunity. I may need to move it up on my To Do list.

• roytg94
    roytg94 Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

I just saw bits and pieces of this movie. What I saw was mind-boggling on what we can do if we work together to rebuild the soil and how the produce that gets created will drastically help us clean up our air pollution issues.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,632 admin

Welcome to the forum @roytg94. Glad to have you on board.

• I watched the whole thing on Monday and it was amazing. I really hate that there is so much suppression of better technologies because some people put money way ahead of this planet and her people. It does give me hope though and really reinforced to me the importance of soil. I've always focused on "the plant" but I think now I am going to focus on the soil more and the plant less. If the soil is good, the plants should do well (minus the weird "this won't grow this year" kind of thing lol).

• Grounded
    Grounded Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

I agree that building up/repairing soil is vitally important. I also think that we need to save as many different varieties of seeds as is possible. If the big seed conglomerates had their way, we would be forced to get all our seeds from them and it doesn't seem like a big deal until you consider several things. 1. the number of plant varieties is quickly diminishing; 2. these conglomerates would not allow anyone to save seeds, this gets very expensive for farmers with acreage: 3. Seed companies always want to mess with mother nature, meaning that we get hybrids, which are resistant to pests and weather, but at the price of depending upon the same seed company for pesticides, fertilizer, etc.; 4. heirloom seeds will become a thing of the past, or at least very rare.

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

I have been working on repairing the soil that was depleted from years of agricultural use. After 20+ years even though I still have some tough patches of clay, most of the soil I grow in is much richer now. I have also been saving my own seeds for proven growing plants but have occasionally purchased seeds from reputable providers and then saved seeds from them.

This Week's Leaders