Question regarding corn...

MelissaLynne
MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Vegetables

wondering if anyone knows...

Once corn plant leaves have dried from cold will the kernels continue plumping at all or should I just go ahead and harvest the corn in it’s partially developed state?

Comments

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

I don't believe they will. Is the corn immature? If it was planted late and not given enough time to mature, and the leaves have already dried, then the corn kernels will dry out and get hard. You can probably grind this corn for flour or cornmeal once it is dry. I don't know if it will germinate if you plan to use it for seed corn next spring. I guess you could try it and find out.

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

It was planted at the normal time, but the growing season started late this year. My sugar snap peas didn’t start producing until the first week of July.

The corn is still immature. Thanks for the input. It is sweet corn. There isn’t very much, I may just give it to the chickens. Between the colder nights and all the wildfire smoke I think most of my garden is done. I still have cabbage, kale and herbs going strong. :)

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Once the leaves are dry the plant is done. I would harvest and do whatever you planned to do with them.

• solarnoon.aspen
    solarnoon.aspen Posts: 219 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

I'm having the same problem in British Columbia. We got so little harvested corn even though I planted much more this year.

The chickens like the immature cobs at least.

And, you can make things with the corn husks and use the silk.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

Once the leaves die there is no energy being stored as glucose to continue developing the corn. I would just harvest it and see what I got. Good luck!

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Great information here!

Some varieties of corn have a shorter season. Corn can be planted a few weeks before the last day of frost in spring. Don't presoak, just plant it deep about 1-2".

The corn stalks can be sold or used as fall decorations.

Some farmers say they make more money from the stalks then they do the ears.

We feed ours to the goats and chickens.

• marcy_northlightsfarm
    marcy_northlightsfarm Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Dried leaves means it was killed by the frost, or has reached maturity naturally. Even if the stem survived the frost, it won;t help mature the ears.