Popped popcorn in a pot for the first time/ instead of the microwave

Cornelius
Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I made popcorn on the stove for the first time in my life. I think it turned out great with a light airy taste. Has anyone else tried this method and how did it go?

Comments

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I like doing that way. I used to use my cast iron dutch oven, but I've actually had better success with less burning when I switched to a flimsier pan- I think because it's easier to move around. I use coconut oil or lard, and plenty of it. I stir with a wooden spoon, and don't put the lid on until kernels start flying out of the pan. Then I shake the pan around until the popping slows down. I don't know if my method is the best, but it works for me.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

I am older than microwaves so, yes, I have done it on top of the stove; gas, electric & wood as well as over an open campfire. I also find the cast iron pot to be a bit difficult to handle for the shaking. So I have a stainless steel pot that is lighter but still has a heavy bottom. I have a campfire popper for that express purpose. I personally think that the stove top method makes better popcorn than the microwave. Lighter and airier, as you have said @Cornelius.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Cornelius most definitely the best way to go. Olive oil is best, doesn't get too hot. When done, garnish with flakey salt. Ive even been known to add paprika or ground chilli powder to the oil. Great healthy snack.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with everyone that stove top is the best. My daughter makes it a lot. We use a soup type pot from IKEA because it has a lid. She makes way too much every time so we put the leftovers in a ziplock bag for later. We get organic palm oil from a farmer's market every once in a while and use that to make popcorn. It comes out buttery and very tasty. Besides salt sometimes we add granulated garlic, cayenne pepper, or hot paprika.

• Nancy Carter
    Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

This is the best way to have popcorn in my opinion. My husband puts a bit of oil in the pot with one kernel and when that kernal pops , then he adds more kernels. Its a great way to use popcorn without spending a lot of money! Enjoy and be creative! It looks yummy!!!

• OhiohillsLouise
    OhiohillsLouise Posts: 120 ✭✭✭

Oh yes I even have a special popcorn pot that is lightweight and has an ill fitting lid so it doesn’t overheat. A blend of coconut and avocado oil is my favorite because it is slightly sweet and buttery.

I never use microwave popcorn I think it has a weird aftertaste. And it is so overpriced for what little you get in a bag.

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Stovetop is by far the best, but for those who are even more health conscious, an air popper works well and eliminates the need for oil.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try making the popcorn with bacon fat -- it is very good.

• Torey

Oh, I had never thought of using bacon fat! Thanks for the tip @shllnzl! Love bacon anything.

• shllnzl

@torey You won't need to add any salt with bacon fat either.

• MelissaLynne
    MelissaLynne Posts: 205 ✭✭✭

IT is the only way to go! I usually use coconut oil.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't even own a microwave any more. I like to use half coconut oil and half butter, and let the popped corn get a little "burnt" on the bottom of the pan. And a drizzle of melted butter on top of that is perfect.

I bet you won't go back to microwave popcorn!

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

I haven't done that since I was a teenager, I think. I used to have an air popper. I enjoyed popcorn with nutritional yeast on it for years and then recently found out I have a yeast sensitivity. No more nutritional yeast for me! :-(

• Grounded
    Grounded Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

Popping corn on the stove is the best. Microwave bags have additives and chemicals added, which are not healthy.

I start with a fairly large pot, with a tight fitting lid. I use coconut oil, start on medium heat, add salt directly in with the oil and place a kernel or two of popcorn in the pot until they pop. I then add more kernels and bring up the heat to high and shake the pot occasionally, until the kernels stop popping. You can then add whatever seasonings you like. If I am using butter, I usually melt it in with the oil before adding any kernels to the pot.

@kbmbillups1 I usually make too much popcorn too, but I rarely have any leftovers. I don't know where it goes?:)

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

The best pot I ever had for popcorn was a small pressure cooker. The gasket broke or got lost, anyway I didn't have it anymore so I just used it as a pot. It was apparently the perfect weight for even heat distribution so the popcorn always came out great.

• Ruth Ann Reyes
    Ruth Ann Reyes Posts: 580 admin

I have some kernels and I want to try doing it in the instant pot...I've been seeing this method circle the internet. I would guess it's similar to doing it on the stove.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

@shllnzl Bacon popcorn is the best! I didn't like bacon, but then attended to a work event where they served popcorn made with bacon grease. This was a review of the restaurant event so I had to eat it. Had to. OMG, it was great!

As a kid, we'd love to watch the popcorn rise in the aluminum trays. So fun! We don't own a microwave and the thought of consuming the chemicals in those packages is nauseating. Tried air pop and it was okay. Up in the Poconos we came across a popcorn hut where there were dozens of flavors, but again they were just chemical flavors shaken over the popcorn - ugh. We don't eat popcorn much at all now because the Master Chef de Maison has problems from the shells getting into pockets in the gum, but when we do take a risk, we'd prefer it to be bacon popcorn.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not own a microwave so the stove top is the only way I can make popcorn, the best part is I can buy organic popcorn. Also come Spring I am going to try to grow Popping Sorghum.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

Stove top is so much better. I have a special saucepan with a handle you crank so it doesn't burn. It was not expensive and makes the best popcorn :)

• tomandcara
    tomandcara Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭

We wanted an over the stove convection oven and all of the ones available when we got ours were a combination of a microwave/convection oven. Do we ever use the microwave part? Sure- for disinfecting dish clothes and sponges and heating up water in a jar to take a label off the jar. That water goes out to the yard to water a plant.

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

This is the only way I make popcorn and have for years. I agree with you, it seems fluffier and just plain tastes better. My main reason was I didn’t want all the chemicals that go into microwave popcorn. Simple unprocessed foods taste better.

• Cornelius

@jodienancarrow  and @kbmbillups1  I will have to try those flavorings. I wonder if granulated honey garlic would work for a flavoring as well?

@Nancy Carter I will have to try that method and see if it works better than putting all the seeds in at once.

@frogvalley I hate when that happens. I have found that you can try and remove as much of the brown shell after it pops as possible, but it is very time consuming.

@Lisa K  I am growing popcorn this year for the first time. The stalks are really small so that might be another option. I got the seeds from rareseeds.com. Good luck with your popping sorghum!

@tomandcara I have been peeling labels off wrong my whole life. I will try my microwave next time.

@stephanie447 I am sorry to hear that. You could try moringa powder as it is very nutrient dense.

@shllnzl I will have to look into the bacon fat as an option. I know this is going to be some type of heresy but could I was turkey bacon fat (I much prefer its taste).

• tomandcara

@Cornelius Haha, I don't want to mislead you. only SOME of the labels respond to the microwave treatment. Some of them are put on with a glue that would make a great TV infomercial!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Popping corn this way is far superior to microwave in every way, including the price. This is the only way I ever make it. After eating it this way my husband won't eat microwave unless he has to at someone else's house or something.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mom used to make popcorn on the stove a lot when I was a kid. I haven't done it in so long! I do agree that it is the best tasting popcorn. I think I will add making popcorn to our after dinner plans tonight. Thanks for reminding me of this activity.

My family really loves the flavor of popcorn popped in coconut oil. We have made bacon popcorn and the whole family likes it. One variation that my family loves is when I put ranch seasoning on it. I'm told that it is a Michigan thing to put ranch dressing or seasoning on a lot of stuff. If you haven't tried it I do recommend it.

• Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

I make stove popcorn using oregano infused coconut oil. Mine has a great taste and I add extra to melt over the top as well.

I made this for my grandchildren, who requests Nana's popcorn every visit. My daughter said she made it the same way, but the grandchildren say it's not the same.

• Cornelius

@tomandcara Ah man, I thought I had finally find an answer. I have a lot of bottles to get the labels off of.

• Torey

@shllnzl I finally got around to making the bacon fat popcorn. Thanks so much for the idea. It was delicious with a bit of chipotle garlic seasoning.

• shllnzl

@torey You're welcome. It was how my family did it in the days before microwaves.

• tomandcara

@Cornelius Maybe the microwave label removing system will work for most of your bottles??? Only way you will know is to try.