Fire flys a special experience !

JodieDownUnder
JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

Up until I was 26, I was unaware of fireflies. It was in Winchester Kentucky USA, that I experienced my first sighting. Never before in Australia, did I realise that they existed. I was told of their existence in my area but until the last day or so, wow, they are spectacular. It seems that all my friends are in the forest and flicking lighters, they're not, it's a natural occurrence and a spectacular freak of nature. So privileged to witness nature at her best.

Comments

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

I'm glad you got to experience them! I find them fascinating!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

That is beautiful! It was dry enough in our area that we didn't see them this year, or we weren't watching closely after a rain. This summer was strange somehow anyway.

We had one lit up one hit our windshield one year. It was interesting that it took quite a while for the luminescence to fade. I don't know that I had seen that before.

• Grounded
    Grounded Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

We live next to a small park and in our corner of the park there are many trees. I attended night school many years ago and was walking home from the commuter train fairly late. I was walking through the trees and suddenly the clearing I was walking through seemed to explode with lightning bugs. I slowed and found myself turning around and around as I continued home in awe of beauty of the moment. By the time I got home and tried to get my wife out to seem them, the moment was over and most of the lightning bugs were gone.

• IrisB
    IrisB Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

They are awesome!