How do you use/preserve chestnuts?

Owl
Owl Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

It seems to be a good year for chestnuts and my 3 trees are producing madly. Unfortunately, I really don’t know what to do with the bounty after I eat a few roasted. If anyone has ideas for ways to use them I’d be very grateful and, if anyone wants some for seeds, I’d be happy to share. They germinate easily and are pretty easy to maintain. My trees are all 20-30 years old and we just started actually taking care of them last year. We used a physical barrier for insects climbing up them and sprayed need oil as high as I could reach. Last year’s crop had a huge number of borers but this year seems much, much better.

Comments

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

@Owl Have you made chestnut flour or butter?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,632 admin

@Owl Chestnuts don't grow near me so I am not accustomed to having an abundance to do anything with, so these are suggestions that come from my use of chestnut products rather than making the products from scratch.

Chestnut puree. I have never made this before but I know it is very expensive to purchase for use in baked goods. You can make it sweetened or unsweetened. Following is a link to a recipe for sweetened puree and some suggestions for use. You can also freeze any leftovers. https://www.thespruceeats.com/sweetened-chestnut-puree-recipe-p2-1136178

Chestnut Liqueur. I had this once and it was very good. I found this recipe online. Besides cocktails, I would use this liqueur in any recipe that called for a nut liqueur such as Amaretto, Nocino or Frangelico. Be nice in a chocolate cheesecake. http://www.cocktailsandbars.com/how-to-make-chestnut-liqueur/

Now you have inspired me to get a family member that lives in chestnut country to harvest some for me.

• Gail H
    Gail H Posts: 359 ✭✭✭✭

@Owl Whenever I had a lot, I would process them by cutting an X in them and boiling them, then peeling. I just froze the peeled nuts in freezer bags and used them in cooked dishes like soup and pilaf. It was hard work to prepare them, but what a treasure trove to have in one's freezer!

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

@Owl also, I would be interested in some chestnuts to plant. Be vague, as in do not compromise safety, but where are you?

• Owl
    Owl Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

I’m in central Alabama.

• Ferg
    Ferg Posts: 285 ✭✭✭

Chestnut soup!

Chestnut Soup

(Soupe aux Chataignes)

Chestnut Soup or Soupe aux Chataignes is still popular french soup from the Aquitaine area of France due to the abundance of sweet chestnuts which are still grown here.

The problem with Les Chataignes (chestnuts) is peeling them. The way we were shown was to score the chestnuts with a knife then bring to the boil in a large pan and simmer for about 10 mins, drain a few at a time and peel off the inner and outer skins while hot, if you allow them to cool the skins will not come off.

Sometimes it may be easier to cut the chestnuts in half when cooked and scoop out the flesh. Or if you plan ahead, boil the chestnuts then drain. Cover with a tea towel and put a lid on the pot and leave for a few days to allow the chestnuts to sweat and the skins come off easier then.

Chestnut soup (Soupe aux Chataignes)

Serves:- 6-8, Preparation time:- 10 mins,(not including preparing the chestnuts) Cooking time:- 1 hour

Ingredients

* 1 kg of chestnuts ready to cook with, (ie. peeled)

* whites of 4 leeks, washed and chopped

* 55g of butter

* 2 turnips peeled and chopped

* 1 potato peeled and chopped

* 4 carrots peeled and chopped

* 3 tablespoons of crème fraiche

* salt and pepper

* croutons

Method

* melt your butter in a large pan with a lid

* add leeks and sweat gently for 10 mins

* add the rest of the vegetables and chestnuts