Coping With Major Schedule Change
While I am so very thankful to have a job again, the 12 hour shifts (6 am to 6 pm) and shifting days off are making me so very tired. I had such a hard time fining any job, and will keep looking for one that uses my office/bookkeeping skills while I do this one to pay the rent and bills.
The new job as a nutrition services assistant in the local hospital is not nearly as physical as the elementary school custodian job that I left in Idaho back in June. I am on the run most of the day, but no hours and hours of mopping and vacuuming, so that's great. I get to eat for free from the leftover hot line after patients are fed, so that cuts my grocery bill way down.
Oddly, while the food is good, I don't think it's particularly healthy, but I am happy to eat for free since I'm only making 9.45 an hour. It matters.
I worry about my little dog being alone for 13 hours a day, but he is paper trained and I put up a baby gate to keep him in the kitchen/living room area. He has a history of seizures when he get anxious, and is on Phenobarbital twice a day. (The cat doesn't much care so long as she has food and water down.)
I've adjusted my bed time so that I still can read a little each day (but have been going to sleep with book in hand.) I am OK with extra sleep, but am missing out on the rest of my life right now.
I'm trying to keep my coffee consumption to the one big mug a day that I am used to (free coffee and sweet tea if I bring my own mug!)
Any tips for this big life change?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 355 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter