Home   |   About Us   |   The Grow System   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Store   |   Forum Rules

White Flies on Potato/Sweet Potato — The Grow Network Community
Flowers are the music of the ground from earth's lips spoken without sound.

- Edwin Curran

White Flies on Potato/Sweet Potato

monica197monica197 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭

Are White Flies on my potato and sweet potato problematic or are they just annoying?

Comments

• shllnzlshllnzl Southwestern UtahPosts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry to hear that. White flies can be a real problem: they suck leaf juices and are very difficult to eradicate. I wish I could tell you what to do; I will wait with you for expert advice.

• monica197monica197 Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭

Ohhhhh - that is good to know. I did not realize that. See, that is why I asked!

I am going to have to drive into this further.

After some research I found some safer soap type sprays as well as info that says the good old ladybug can be helpful. I am going to disperse some ladybugs in the area and see if that helps before moving to the soaps and sprays.

• shllnzlshllnzl Southwestern UtahPosts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

Soap will work as long as it is wet. If I remember correctly, the whiteflies sit on the back of the leaves, making it harder to get the soap on them before they fly away in a cloud.

I am hoping the ladybugs work out easier.

• Lisa KLisa K Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can also try adding worm castings to the soil, according to a friend of mine that worked at a nursery the white flies do not like the taste and it also feeds the plant at the same time. Win-Win!

edited October 2020

I am on the move! I seem to have had a proliferation of pest issues in the last year. I will give these things a whirl. These and my root-knot nematode application! I have to get this stuff under control! Thank you.