Best potting soil?

Mark Baker
Mark Baker Posts: 19

In central Texas, we have heavy clay that is very sticky when wet, and hard as concrete when dry. It is 8.5 on the PH scale. We also have summers with very little rain and lots of 100 degree days. After trying to grow in the soil for several years, with dismal results, I want to try something new. I want to garden in 55 gallon plastic barrels cut in half horizontally and filled with potting soil. I read an article by David the Good that said that some potting soil is just tree bark and dirt. I want some good organic potting soil, hopefully with some fertility, but no extra content. Can I trust a brand like Miracle Grow to produce something safe? How do I know I'm getting good soil? The local big stores are Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-Mart. Any specific brands that seem to be better than others? I have a compost pile, so I can add that to the potting soil. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got infested with fungas gnats from soil I purchased, so I too will wait for advice on this subject.

• roytg94
    roytg94 Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

My father successfully used Miracle Grow with a straw covering to keep down the weeding. I would rather work on building up the soil with live fungi as mentioned it the "Need To Grow" video. Here is a link to easily create your own Homemade Miracle Grow: https://plantinstructions.com/diy-gardening/homemade-miracle-grow/

I'd like to know if it would kill some/many of the micronutrients in the soil.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

I make my own soil. I start with a base of coconut coir and then add lots of things to it. The upside my garden plants love it. The downside you have to buy a lot of ingredients. I know someone who grows all her food by turning her whole property into one big garden. She grows in 100% compost adding more each year. I have read that over time that's not the best for the nutrition level of your garden but she swears by it.

• happy-trails
    happy-trails Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

@Mark Baker Hi there! I would not trust Miracle Gro at all, because I'm sure you don't want any toxicity in your food. Even their OMRI certified products are very shady, with bits of plastic, wire and shards of glass. I believe OMRI certification allows a certain percentage of non-organic materials and the Miracle Gro company definitely capitalizes on this opportunity. Their ingredients are not high quality, nor nutritious for your plants. I highly recommend making your own (equal parts of: coco coir or peat moss, compost, and perlite) to save money and control the ingredients, but if you're looking to purchase a ready-made potting soil, the best I've used and consistently hear great feedback about as well, is the Organic Pro-mix potting soil. It is high quality, no fillers or sneaky ingredients; it is OMRI certified and it includes mycorrhizae which is an excellent bonus! Mixed with your compost, and an organic fertilizer (Trifecta Plus, Jobe, EcoScraps, Down To Earth) you'll be good to go! My garden THRIVES every year doing this. Hope this is helpful.

• Hassena
    Hassena Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

Hi @Mark Baker, is there an option to add organic matter to the soil?

I lived in phoenix and grew a variety of plants based on rainwater harvesting practices from Brad Lancaster.

By planting the rain and adding fresh woodchips, the soil awoke from it's slumber.

https://www.harvestingrainwater.com

Not sure of the methods tried. If you've made attempts, it's likely you've tried some of these practices. It's certainly a different experienc growing in the desert. I miss the dry heat. :)

Is there an option to harvest rain water? Using swales and berms?

Are you able to add fresh wood chips? Sometimes these are free from local tree companies.