Barbecue Hash and Brunswick Stew

judsoncarroll4
judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,456 admin
edited October 2020 in General Recipes

I guess I forgot to mention the great barbecue "byproducts" that result from cooking real barbecue - hash and Brunswick Stew.

Well, Brunswick stew is probably the older dish. Amateur food historians have debated for decades of over the origin of Brunswick Stew. It was said to have been born in Brunswick, GA around the time of the Civil War, but Brunswick, Virginia claims it originated there sometime after the Revolutionary War. But, the first town/settlement named Brunswick in America was Brunswick, NC... and my family has been cooking it for around 400 years... so, I think we can win that argument! Brunswick Town was founded in 1726. Brunswick County, NC was founded in 1767. Lord Brunswick had quite an influence in NC during colonial times. Traditional coastal NC Brunswick stew contains smoked pork, chicken and game... almost always 3 meats... game is usually squirrel, coon, rabbit, or possum, but it could be deer or bear - any wild fowl could replace chicken. Thee meat it combines with onion, tomato, corn and lima beans. It is a simple hunter's stew, that is very likely what early colonists would have cooked once they had interacted and traded with Native American tribes. It is widely believed that the descendants of Sir Walter Raleigh's "Lost Colonists" are today's Lumbee Indians. I share both colonial and Lumbee heritage and I can attest that this is VERY much out favor profile - just fry up some corn bread and don't "mommick it up"! (Greens, especially turnips with the roots, squash or pumpkin, potatoes and sweet potatoes are all nice additions depending on your own family tradition).

Barbecue Hash is said to have originated around Greenwood and Abbevile, SC. As I mentioned in my post in barbecue, in answer to a comment, the German immigrants brought mustard into SC barbecue. Of course, they also brought a love of pork liver... but pork liver was also beloved by English, Irish, African, Scottish and French immigrants... it was inevitable that both would find their way into this signature dish. Add to that, that rice culture came to SC with a Spanish ship-wreck... Well, what could you do with all those organ meats after you "dress" your hog for barbecue? Throw them in a pot with onions, bits of smoked pork, pepper salt and mustard! Cook them down into a thick stew and serve over rice. Imagine dirty rice, haggis and liverwurst with onions and mustard, all cooked down and served hot! It sounds gross, but it is actually... FREAKING AWESOME!

Comments

This Week's Leaders