Transplanting to increase harvest

roytg94
roytg94 Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

By doubling the quantity of seeds planted, it keeps out much of the weeds, but there are extra plants that need to eventually be removed to allow for proper growth. It seems a shame to discard these young plants since many are quite healthy. They can be eaten, but has anyone gotten success from transplanting these extra young seedling plants? I have put them in containers with some initial success as an experiment.

Best Answer

Answers

• Angel
    Angel Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

I frequently transplant tomato seedlings, and they do quite well. They can take more handling, though. I think it's worth a try.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always start more seeds than I know that I will need. When it comes time to thin them I always keep them alive. I either transplant them to a different section of the yard, grow them inside in containers, or give them to friends and family. I probably gave away several dozen seedlings this past spring. One friend gave me some starts of a variety that I hadn't planted in exchange. It was great! I saved seeds from them so now my family will have them for years to come.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

@roytg94 Welcome to the forum. I have not had much luck doing something like that. But maybe it was the year? 🤷‍♀️

@Angel Nance I would like to extend a welcome to you as well.

• twinspringsnc
    twinspringsnc Posts: 21 ✭✭✭

Tomatoes are so hardy. I normally stick the suckers straight into the soil when I pull them off my plants... a different kind of transplanting but it works. I ran into something a little different this morning that I am going to try. Found on youtube trnasplanting peppers this morning. Not starts but grown peppers in the garden. Hard prune the pepper plant down to basically just above the Y, replant with root ball in a pot and over winter. Inside if you get frost, snow etc. Has anybody tried this?

• silvertipgrizz
    silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

As Jeff Goldbloom said in 'Jurassic Park' ... 'Life finds a way' ..

Be bold and go for it. And learn from others who have already been where you are now so you can also teach those that come after you.. AND, if someone tells you you can't grow corn form transplants...try a few or a 4 row patch to see for yourself if you can or can't..

hint...I did and my corn grew awesome!! And since I planted them a lttle deeper (my transplants) than usual, they were much more stable.. The best to you..and welcome to the forum!!

• KimMullen
    KimMullen Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

I have transplanted many seedlings. Most of the time if I shade them and keep them well watered until they start to grow again, they do just fine. Good luck!

• roytg94

I just learned that if you cut down about 50% of the transplant (because of cut off roots), then the roots will have a much better chance to feed the remaining plant to survive. Any thoughts?

• roytg94

@greyfurball Thanks for sharing your experience with transplanting newbie plants. I will definitely try your suggestion next planting season. That should also help keep the weeds down. I found a recipe for creating your own Miracle Grow that got lettuce plants to start growing again after being stagnant for about a week. I added a teaspoon of Hydrogen Peroxide to this gallon mix. Here is the link: https://plantinstructions.com/diy-gardening/homemade-miracle-grow/

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I planted lettuce and kale seeds in a tray, then put it on the window sill outside my kitchen. Then, as they were just getting started, the neighbor’s cat knocked it off, and it landed upside down. I thought it was over for them, but decided to plant them anyway and hope they would survive. They are stronger than we think. They actually did better than the ones that were direct-seeded.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had success removing extra seedlings from the outer fringes of the pot.

Of course, I always end up with extra plants where I would have been happy with just one of that species. This year it was horehound herb.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

@greyfurball What a splendid idea to put lettuce babies under tomatoes! That solves the heat problem. :)

@twinspringsnc I never thought of putting suckers into the garden as transplants! Thanks for sharing that idea.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I usually plant too much when I winter sow (easy way to stratify seeds. Plant outside, during winter, in covered containers). Then come spring I transplant itty bitty seedlings into six packs, and if they make it, have waaay too many plants. This spring it seemed every kale seed I planted germinated. I started transplanting, planning on stopping when it got crazy. I transplanted 128. More than 100 survived and thrived. I planted 60-70 of them, by dint of planting them too close together. I was begging everyone that I thought might possibly have a garden to take some plants off my hands.

So yeah, I do the transplant thing

• roytg94

@Tave It's amazing how resilient plants are when they feel loved and cared for. They really respond to our moods, thoughts and feelings. Plants do not grow that well if ignored, even if they get all they need.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

True that. My friends tease me about my conversations with plants and animals. I just tell them at least my plants understand me:)

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭✭

I planted a ton of hibiscus in spring and finally thinned it yesterday and planted the transplants, so we'll see what happens.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also tend to over plant and have a hard time killing off the extras. In the little 4,6 or 9 cup starter packs I often end up with more than one plant starting. I found that when I transplant those I remove the whole thing from the pack then dip and swish around in luke warm water I can often seperate the roots without much issue.

Then replant into larger pots or beds if ready. At the end I can drain the extra water from the container I swished them in and reuse the soil that washed off. I rarely lose any of the starts that way.

• SuperC
    SuperC Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2023

@roytg94 Have you ever considered alternating the depth at which you plant? I mean, the transplants, alternate planting one deeper and then one more shallow so that their roots can grow sufficiently without overcrowding.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seeds are cheap, so it pays to overseed when planting. Some seeds won't germinate, some will germinate but be weak.

If I plant seeds outside and see gaps a few weeks later, I usually seed again in the gaps.

My problem is I find it hard to thin. I hate to give up any of my plants! But you really do have to thin most crops, or you'll get little yield.