What's in Your Soup Pot
I put this under Natural and Home medicine cause broths are an important way to add nutrition to our diets. The long slow cooking of a variety of ingredients extracts minerals and other nutrients that can help with our immune system and digestion, improve circulation and nourish us during illness.
However, I love soups of all kinds. I could live on soups. So let's share some of our broth ingredients as well as some of our favourite soups.
Today I am doing a veggie broth with all of those end of season garden goodies.
From the garden: Onions, garlic, celery (leaves, stalk & root), carrots (orange & yellow), parsnip, squash, broad beans, parsley, sage, thyme, oregano, basil, tarragon, lovage, sorrel greens, two kinds of kale, a large red cabbage leaf, horseradish leaf, nasturtium leaves, beet greens, carrot greens, swiss chard, mustard greens, dandelion greens, green pepper and cayenne peppers.
From the pantry: Astragalus root, dandelion root, a couple of slices of dried reishi, dried stinging nettle, dried artichoke leaf, bay leaf, mustard seed, black peppercorns, a chunk of fresh ginger,
It will be simmering for the rest of the afternoon filling the house with a wonderful smell.
I will use this broth as a base for other soups, gravies, sauces, etc., or just to drink on its own as a nourishing beverage when ill.
I also make bone broth. I have some bison broth in the freezer as well as chicken. I usually will add the basics along with the bones; onions, celery, carrots, garlic, cayenne peppers, black pepper, bay leaf, herbs, etc. A bit of ACV will help to release minerals and collagen from the bones. A bit of left over wine will do the same thing. Again, bases for many other things.
What's in your pot?
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 34 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 354 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 527 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter