Beet Recipes

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

I love the pickled! Either fermented or in vinegar is fantastic. But, roasted, sated with meat, butter and garlic is surprisingly not "beety", just a nice root veggie. Beat kvass is also very nice. Borscht can be fantastic... I can't make it the way my Ukrainian friend does.

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I love roasted beets so much! Sometimes they get sweet. The golden ones are particularly good roasted.

Have not had the opportunity to try either kvass or borscht. I'll try to remedy that soon!

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love to juice beets! My husband hates it but I think it's delicious. He does like pickled beets though. I made them not to long ago.

Sometimes I add celery and apples to my beet juicing to make it more drinkable for my husband. As long as I add apples he will drink it. 😁

This is the pickled beet recipe I made. It was very good!

• COWLOVINGIRL
    COWLOVINGIRL Posts: 954 ✭✭✭✭

Add the juice to mashed potatoes to really give your family a scare!

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

I made Beet Kvass

It's still working so don't know how it is.

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

I read years ago ( I think in the Encyclopedia of Country Living, by Carla Emery) that beet juice mixed with orange juice taste like red Koolaid or Hawaiian Punch. Now, even in my sugar filled youth, I don't think I was that fond of those beverages, but I was curious to try the combination. I did, and my first impression was "Red Kool-aid with dirt!" Actually pretty good, though I'm not sure what real Kool-aid lovers would think.

I really like beets just roasted until tender and served with some butter, though pickled are nice.

I tried this awhile ago and it was pretty great. https://myheartbeets.com/beet-thoran-indian-beet-stir-fry/

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Beet pickled devilled eggs. Lots of recipes on line for these. So pretty on a platter.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

Beetroot is awesome. I have 3 different kinds growing, traditional, golden and one that has a bullseye pattern(choggia). I love them baked and topped with crumbled fetta and mint, juiced with any combo but ginger and carrot is a fav. Beetroot hummus, borsht, pickled and an abolute must on hamburgers! An aussie tradition. @Mary Linda Bittle another great use is chop up a variety of veg, beetroot, onion, zucchini, capsicum, mushroom etc. Drizzle with olive oil, baked until done, then top homemade foccacia, drizzle some balsamic glaze over, can even use some cheese and a great starter for dinner or a nice snack.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
    edited September 2020

Holy cow... that sounds horrible! Beets definitely have an earthy/dirt flavor. I bet it would be good fermented though. Parsnip wine is a classic in rural Britain, and kvass in eastern Europe made with beets. Could be similar

• blevinandwomba
    blevinandwomba Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭

Well, @judsoncarroll4 , it actually wasn't too bad, just odd. It's funny that there really is a "red" taste, that both the beets and the synthetic fruit punch have.

I just remembered that this salad is pretty good. You could use goat cheese instead of vegan cheese if you like- you just want a soft mild cheese.

https://goop.com/recipes/roasted-beet-cheese-basil-caprese-with-avocado-and-toasted-almonds/

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am bumping this up. I was given about 15 pounds of beets so I am trying to get them used up as fast as possible. There are good ideas above and if anyone else has a recipes please share

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin
  • gardneto76
    gardneto76 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭

I love beet chips. Slice them really thin and bake them with a little olive oil & sprinkled with sea salt. Super simple & very east to eat a bunch of them before you even realize it. You can even make them in a dehydrator, better if you steam them a bit first.

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eating beets helps your body to produce nitrous oxide, which helps your circulation and energy levels. Nitrous oxide pills are expensive and list beets as the main ingredient. I am mixing beet powder into my morning greens drink.

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

Beets and swiss chard are two vegetables I keep trying to aquire a taste for and haven't gotten there yet :(

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a huge fan of beets, but I do like the health benefits they offer so I put beets & the greens in my chocolate smoothie.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

We don't use beets very much, though I did find a recipe for beet soup many years ago that was delicious. I'm not sure if I still have that recipe.

We'd all be wise to branch out and learn how to cook with as many different ingredients as possible. Then we'll always be able to make and eat things we know we like, even when some ingredients are not available.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love pickled beets, but I need to try some of these other recipes. Beets grow well here and are also good for the chickens and they love them. Ordered seed for 3 different kinds this year. Would love to be able to grow the huge mangel beets for the animals but will need a few years working on our soil for that to even be worth trying.

Only way I have ever eaten besides pickled was the store bought canned ones. Did not like them.

We did try some sugar beets one year and I followed the instructions on a site for making sugar from them. Nasty! Don't know how they are processed commercially, but these were terrible. lol Need to work on that again someday with a different set of instructions.

• kfoto
    kfoto Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

I love juicing beets with ginger. It’s so good for the liver. I also love eating raw golden or red beets in coconut tortillas with other greens. Perfect summer lunch.

• marjstratton
    marjstratton Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭

My husband doesn't like beets. Sometimes I will put some into a meal. I should probably do it more often in hopes that he will develop a taste for it, or at least object less about it. These recipes sound great.