Food poisoning

Michelle D
Michelle D Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in General Health

I have a close friend that is suffering from some really bad food poisoning. She has spoken with her doctor who instructed her on how to remain hydrated while her body flushes the bacteria out. Does anyone have any suggestions for helping relieve the gut problems other than to just wait it out?

Comments

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

@Michelle D The homeopathic remedy Arsenicum Album is great for food poisoning. You can get it in many pharmacies, grocery stores and health food stores. 30C is what I use when it happens to us, but use any strength you have. It can also be put in water to make it stronger. There used to be people in the community that had kits available for acute issues. You can also try alternative health practitioners and midwives if you can't find a retail source at hand. Feel free to send me a message as there are different remedies according to the symptoms and the item ingested. Don't touch the remedies, don't eat or drink 15 min before or after taking the remedies and don't leave the cap off.

A little ginger in water may help.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

@torey Can you chime in on this?

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@frogvalley has made a very good suggestion here. I have used Arsenicum for food poisoning in the past with great results.

7Song suggests activated charcoal. It will help remove the toxins being produced by the bacteria. You can get charcoal capsules at almost any pharmacy.

Keeping hydrated is very important but rather than plain water I would add some lemon juice or ACV to the water along with a pinch of good salt and a teaspoon of honey. Warm or room temp water would be better than cold.

Cramp bark tincture would help with cramping in the bowels if that is a symptom. A tea with chamomile and/or catnip will help with cramping and catnip is good for diarrhea.

It is good to vomit to get rid of things but when vomiting gets to the point of retching or dry heaves, try some Angostura bitters in water.

Tulsi tea might be beneficial.

Restoratives will be needed after the symptoms of the food poisoning are past. Yogurt, Marshmallow might help soothe sore mucous membranes. Fenugreek seed. Lemon balm. Again, chamomile and catnip.

Hope that helps.

• Michelle D

@frogvalley and @torey Thank you both so much!

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

I would recommend activated charcoal. Also Raw milk. From what I understand the natural enzymes in the milk break down bacteria and help in the case of foodborne illness. Another thing that I have used for terrible stomach cramps is figs soaked in honey and oil for a long period of time. I could not tell you why it works, I just know it has really helped me personally.

• Michelle D

@karenjanicki thanks for the ideas. I'm pretty sure that she is fond of figs so she will be happy to hear that. Any specific type of oil?

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure it was olive. I made a batch and let them sit for about 6 weeks before using, although I snuck a few haha. Coconut would probably be a good choice too since it has antimicrobial properties. The taste is very pleasant.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have heard that activated charcoal is good for food poisoning.

• Michelle D

Thank you all for your advice.

Update: She tried a lot of your suggestions and nothing helped. This morning she was in so much that pain she couldn't stand upright. Her doctor ordered more test and determined that it is actually diverticulitis not food poisoning as they first thought.

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Good thing she didn't let it go on too long as diverticulitis can become septic. When we take our health care into our own hands, we need to know when it's time to seek medical attention. It's a huge responsibility which sometimes is easy, but sometimes may prove that we are in over our heads. It's not a failure to not know how to deal with every situation. The failure is staying the course and going over the cliff.

I hope your friend recovers quickly.

• Michelle D

@frogvalley thank you very much

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

I'm glad your friend is getting the proper treatment now.

Emphasizes the need for a complete examination and interview process for both doctors and alternative practitioners.

Your friend should see a practitioner who will recommend diet and lifestyle changes and appropriate herbs to prevent recurrences. After she gets better, diverticulitis it is all about prevention.