If you are of Celtic heritage, this will be funny!

judsoncarroll4
judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Where I was born, in the mountains of NC, there was still a bit of a brogue and Gallic words used in the more remote areas... and at the Highland Games every year. Down where my grandparents lived, near the coast, it was Gaelic and an odd mix of several cultures.. well, I think these two clips are not only "instructional", but speak to the two sides of the Celtic temperamental coin..... in regard to Scottish and Irish.... I couldn't get any Welsh language... they wouldn't stop singing... ;-p

And, here is a nod to the Manx.... just 'cause Robin Gibb was one of the single greatest singers ever... utterly phenomenal... and the Isle of Mann may be the most beautiful place on earth!

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Beautifully done video! Thanks for posting @judsoncarroll4

• judsoncarroll4

guessing you mean Ellen Vannin - yeah, that is an all time favorite.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Yes, funny but not much beauty in the other two.

• judsoncarroll4
    edited September 2020

what, you didn't like the black screen... LOL! "Bob's your uncle" then... what does that mean, anyway? I recall a Yorkshireman saying, "Robert's your father's brother.." That reminds me of a joke a Welsh professor I had in college used to be fond of, "Two Englishmen, two Scotsmen, two Irishmen and two Welsh were stranded on a dessert island.... The English never spoke because a third Englishman wasn't there to properly introduce them, the Irish blew each other up, the Scots picked each other's pockets and the Welsh just sang all the time." Being of all those heritages, plus French, I can enjoy that joke!

• Sydarta
    Sydarta Posts: 45 ✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 those were awesome, thanks! Being of mostly Scandinavian stock, I am honorary Irish and Welsh by my husband's family Curtis... and love bagpipes & drums more than any pop song I have ever heard, so I reckon I am honorary Scots as well! The first 2 videos had me laughing so good, I had to send them to my sister-in-law, who has also forwarded them- so the joy is rippling far and wide thanks to your post! This is my first week on the Street Team and I am delighted with the content in the forums.

• judsoncarroll4

Glad you enjoyed it! As you likely know, most Celtic folks are half Nordic. We all have a lot in common.

• Cornelius
    Cornelius Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

I am in my schools bag pipe band (although I play the base drum). I do know how to play a little of the chanter though (which is a practice bag pipe without the bag)! I am Scottish, Irish, Welch, and English (that's not all though) on my Mothers side but I do not know how much.

• judsoncarroll4

That is awesome! I live near Grandfather Mountain, NC so I get to hear a lot of great bagpipe music and the drums are always stirring. I'm afraid I have no talent for wind instruments - I play guitar, mandolin, banjo and a few others. So... Halo, Caimar a tha sibh? Greeting from Clan Kian.

• Sydarta
    Sydarta Posts: 45 ✭✭✭

Well that had not even occurred to me! And now this forum feels like home, thanks.

ALSO: @judsoncarroll4 and @Cornelius My brother plays stringed instruments as well- and he bangs a boss beat on a drum! I have a Djembe, guitars and an ukulele with which I dabble, but my voice is my true instrument. Currently studying throat singing!!! It's fascinating, especially as a woman. I would have LOVED to be in a bagpipe band in school, that's so cool!

• Cornelius

@judsoncarroll4 Thank you! And all those instruments are awesome. I also play most percussion instruments like the Vibraphone (technically every mallet instrument) some Alto Sax and a little Trombone. I don't play any string instruments which is something that I will hopefully remedy in a few years (I am thinking Violin).

@Sydarta That is awesome. If you are interested in bag pipe bands look for some in your area and they might be recruiting (COVID permitting). I believe most will accept you if you have musical experience (which it sounds like you do). You could learn the bag pipes, snare, bass, or tenor. You could also learn traditional dances if that is more your speed. Good luck!

• judsoncarroll4

Vibes, huh? I'm a big Lionel Hampton fan and really a huge Benny Goodman fan in general.... I never will understand why certain jazz writers disliked Gene Krupa so I think he was awesome! I'm a pretty solid jazz guitarist... if we are ever in the same area, maybe we can jam a bit.

• Cornelius

@judsoncarroll4 I have only played a little bit of jazz, but I drove my band teacher and section leader for marching band insane by swinging everything I played for the first two months as a Freshman. It was also not on purpose which is why it annoyed them so much. Jamming sounds good but I personally only own a bell set (my instrument was provided by the school previously as vibes are very expensive).

• judsoncarroll4
    edited October 2020

That's the Celtic way! We swing. The jazz historians say it comes from African rhythms, but they forget that we have a fiddle based music and the bow moves in two directions. It is the up-beat that lifts the feet. It is the stomp that drives the dance. The bohdran and the bones. American music is entirely southern and it is when Celtic and African came together. Country, blues, soul, gospel, jazz, rock n' roll. Irish feet and African hips. Jerry Lee Lewis and Ray Charles.... Jerry Reed and Otis Redding.... Bob Wills and Louis Armstrong. It is really rare to find one with out the influence of another... even Bo Didley who had a more pure African rhythm was a huge country fan.... and Bill Monroe's bluegrass was soaked in blues.