Making digestive bitters information

JennyT Upstate South Carolina
JennyT Upstate South Carolina Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard/read about someone making some digestive bitters. Whether in one of the courses in the Academy or on their own. However I can't find where I saw it and who posted it. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I looked briefly in the Academy to see if I could find something about it but no luck. 😏

Comments

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

I think their are several links. Type in "bitters" into the search bar and you should find multiple posts on it. I found a bunch and was going to post links but I kept getting the middle comments lol, something I did not do right. I'll work on that. If that doesn't work for you, just post that on this thread and I will post the links (to the middle of the topic lol).

• JennyT Upstate South Carolina

@seeker.nancy - Central Texas Thank you for the help. I did see what you meant about "middle comments". I was able to click on the portion that showed and it went straight to where it was posted. So I was able to get all the information.

😁Thanks, again.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,456 admin

Oh, well,... this just happens to be my specialty! In fact, the good folks at The Grow Network have asked me to teach a class on jus that! In the meantime, you can read my blog: https://southernappalachianbitters.blogspot.com/ and, feel free to ask me anything.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,632 admin

@JennyT Several of us are big bitters fans here, but @judsoncarroll4 is our go-to guy on this subject. He has found some wonderful old resources on the subject.

TGN;s Academy course "Herbal Energetics" has a discussion about bitter herbs in Module 5. That might give you some suggestions as to types of ingredients you would like to include in your bitters based on their energetic, medicinal properties.

Rosalee de la Foret has published a book of recipes. "Herbal Bitters: 12 Handcrafted Recipes" She has recipes in her other books as well as on her website. I very much like her Mandarin and Douglas Fir Bitters.

So many flavour combinations, everyone is sure to find something that they will like and be beneficial for their health.

@judsoncarroll4 😁 Yes, I found that out. The comment I clicked on was yours and found your new blog. I read your fascinating story about how you were introduced through out your life to all those remarkable people. I have to admit it made me extremely jealous of what you were able to learn and witness. Back to point. I'm new to bitters and their benefits. But after years dealing with GERD and acid reflux and on medications I wanted to get off them. And I did. However stress and a slight lack in better food choices currently have me suffering again and so now is my husband. So after reading several of the comments about which herbal medicine to make first this seemed like the logical choice in that respect. Still it's so foreign to me I needed more insight. I recall something about how certain bitter herbs work for specific aliments. I guess my next question is where do I go to find that information. So that I can figure out which herbs will help me and my husband best? In the mean time I've cleaned our diet back up and told myself no more short cuts.πŸ˜‰

@torey I'm glad to be in the company of "bitters fans." Ahh, the herbal energetics, that course I didn't check into, to see. I'll look at it thanks.

As for Rosalee de la ForΓͺt I'm a big fan. My husband paid for me to have a subscription to the Herb Mentor/Learning Herbs site. And that's where I've been doing a lot of my studying. That and countless books from the library. I don't recall that book of hers but I definitely will be checking to see if my library has it for sure. Thank you so much for all your support. I can't help but feel like in just the few days since becoming a street team member, and in the brief interactions on the forum, the amount of insight I've already gained. I appreciate it so much.πŸ’—

• judsoncarroll4
    edited September 2020

Well... that may be a bigger subject than one remedy can fix. Now, I am not a clinical herbalist. @torey is and she may be the better person to ask. The first thing to look at is why you have GERD. The fact that you and your husband both have it may point to something environmental or dietary. But, I know that when I drink municipal water in the town where my mother lives, loaded chlorine and chloramine and all kinds of toxins, I have heartburn and burp all night, no matter what I do. If it is simply an upper GI issue, bitters may help. You can find out by starting with a bottle of Angostura and giving them a try. If that helps, then my Daily Digestive Bitters are a bit stronger and may be a good option. One way you can find out if it is a certain food, beverage or your water is with a pulse test. Take your pulse a bit after you wake up and then take it again a few minutes after you eat or drink anything. If a meal spikes your pulse and/or blood pressure, you can begin to exclude items from that meal to find out what caused it. If it is water, or a beverage, that is even easier. If your pulse or your blood pressure spikes, you are having an allergic or toxic reaction and that can definitely cause stomach upset. Obviously, I'm just guessing, but for two unrelated people to develop the same condition means that they are both likely reacting to something.... and it would likely be best to address that something. Could even be a gut health issue... same infections, same antibiotics... Probably a commonality. Gentian (in Angostura) will increase saliva and gastric juices - it does what bitters do in general, but very specifically for upper GI.

@judsoncarroll4 thank you . I'm pretty sure it's environmental and a little dietary. We're working on the lower portion of our split level home and there's mold that were dealing with. That combined with all the other smells of old wood, drywall, old concrete, tile, etc. I can feel that our house is making us sick. Which is why we're trying to fix those issues. And in the area we have fixed and it's finished it's much better. But we have the last bit to do. Trying to make things easier on myself I switched up on some things I'd make to eat to save time and energy so I could help with the house repairs. And I know that has contributed to some of it was well. I told my husband a couple of weeks ago that I could see issues arising. And that I needed to change how I had been cooking. Even the kids were having some things bother them. So I've worked on doing better these last couple of weeks in getting back to being mindful of how I cook. Both my husband and I know that there are certain foods our body doesn't tolerate anymore. And we've have them a little but I've taken them back out of our diet. But I'll definitely look into trying what you mentioned. Where can I find Angostura? At a natural foods store?

• judsoncarroll4

Sounds like you are on the right track. You should be able to find angostura at most grocery stores or any liquor store that carries ingredients for making cocktails - mixers and such. It is around $8 a bottle here. Half a teaspoon before a meal is all you need to know if it works. Best wishes!

@judsoncarroll4 I was wondering if the measurement, half a teaspoon, is the same amount that I should give my kids too. I have a 14yo, 13yo, 10yo, and 7yo. Or should I give half that amount say a quarter of a teaspoon for them to see if works/helps? Maybe just the 2 youngest get the quarter teaspoon and my older 2 get the half teaspoon? I was just curious about your recommendation.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful. Do you know when the class will be available? I love playing with the flavors of different herbs in my bitters.

• judsoncarroll4

I really couldn't say, but I think that sounds reasonable.

• judsoncarroll4

I'm not sure, but I'll announce it here when it is... soon hopefully!

This Week's Leaders