Herbal smoking mixtures

judsoncarroll4
judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
edited October 2020 in Herbal Medicine-Making

I've long recommended herb blends containing lobelia and mullein to folks who are quitting smoking cigarettes. Tobacco is not addictive to me, so I never dabbled much further.  I smoke some natural burley in my cob pipe or a cigar when my asthma flares up - often times, that is only thing that eases the tightness. But, the other day, I ran across some info Howie Brounstein's herbal smoking blends. He does some some for lung support issues, some as tobacco alternatives, some as marijuana alternatives and some just to relax. So, since my main asthmatic issue is constriction and because I have all sorts of muscle/nerve pain and knots, I figured I'd give them a try.... my thinking being that long term, they would likely be healthier than relying on only tobacco and and "speedy" OTC meds (which I HATE). The other issue is bourbon - a drink also eases my lungs. That isn't good when used too much or too often or too long, either. So, if herbs could mean one less smoke or drink, that's probably a good thing in the long run. I'm trying a few. I smoked some calamus root today. It eased my lungs and relaxed my muscles without any narcotic or "druggy" effect that I could notice... but, I have huge tolerances to anything... could be stronger for others. I'll try skullcap mixed with lobelia next week. Pedicularis soon.

Here is his info https://herbcraft.org/links.html

Who else makes smoking mixes? What do you use and what do you like?

Comments

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for sharing this. I quit cigarettes but am stuck on vaping. It's not something I want to continue so I hope these herbs may help the transition.

• judsoncarroll4

Today I tried smoking skullcap and calamus together. It is remarkably pleasant! The smoke is gentle, it smokes easily. It is relaxing and the after smoking it, my lungs have that feeling like I'm up on the mountain peaks, breathing clean, cool air. It is better than tobacco! Tomorrow, I'll try mixing in a bit of tobacco. I ordered some lobelia... will blend that in next week.

• Kelley
    Kelley Posts: 140 ✭✭✭

My daughter has TN (trigeminal neuralgia) and she smokes some blends off Amazon that are nervines. The brand is Bear Blend Organics. They really help calm her flares without draining her.

• judsoncarroll4

I think these blends may be helpful to a lot of people. It is a shame they are marketed as a "legal high"... relaxing, yes, not intoxicating though... at least, not for me.

• GardenMama
    GardenMama Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

Things like this always intrigue me. I might be able to talk my husband into trying a couple. Maybe he would vape less.

As much as I wouldn't mind a nice smoke blend my body doesnt like it one bit. All the alarm bells go off any time I try.

• karenjanicki

Could you tell me the ratio of your blend if you don't mind? That sounds lovely and relaxing!

• judsoncarroll4

I'm really just experimenting... no blend yet. Calamus is an herb I've used more than half my life now, but never smoked before. So, that was my starting place. Howie said it would be intoxicating... I knew it wouldn't. Calamus is anti-spasmodic, so an obvious herb for asthma. It is relaxing, "centering" and just kind of says "relax, but keep going, we'll get through it". I know that sounds "hippy dippy"... but I'm a rough old hillbilly and I'll attest that it does, indeed, give one that feeling. Now, I've added skullcap. I had used that before as a tincture, but the effect is different. Skullcap tincture can make you sleepy. Smoking it is just light ... like you are high atop a mountain, breathing deeply of the pure, cool air. I can't speak for anyone else, but it doesn't make me high.... and I did A LOT of drugs when I was younger! The combination of the two is not like pot, at all. It is like drinking from a deep mountain stream on the perfect day. Next week, I will add lobelia... then, maybe pedicularis... I could see adding some good, natural tobacco... maybe drinking a tea or some tinctures. Hops and Passion flower come to mind... one step at a time

• karenjanicki

That really sounds delightful! Please keep me updated on the additions and how it goes. I'd like to try this myself.

• stephanie447
    stephanie447 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

There are some remedies in Ayurveda that include inhaling smoke from herbs, but I don't know much as I have only had a brief introduction to it. However, in Ayurveda it's not like you sit back with a joint to relax on a regular basis and inhale the smoke deeply while kicking back. You let the smoke kind of waft up and take a few inhales and then you are done. It's done very sparingly.

• judsoncarroll4
    edited October 2020

Okay, I found the right combination for asthma! 1/3rd each skullcap lobelia and tobacco. Just puff on it, don't inhale... unless you really want to. It feels like very strong tobacco, without the nausea or hiccups really strong tobacco can cause. It does cause a little light headedness or scalp tingling. But, the lungs clear and relax better than any medication I've ever found, without the speedy/epinephrine effects or blood pressure spike. And, it is way less tobacco that I'd normally put in a pipe. A little calamus may help in an attack, as an anti-spasmodic. Mellow, but clear headed. I'd say both stimulative and relaxing, but not intoxicating. But again, that is just me... and I'm a big guy with the constitution of an elephant. If you are a petite young woman, it probably could get you a bit buzzed. But, if you like smoking dark maduro, Honduran cigars with a double whiskey, it could be just right. If anyone else tries it, I'd like to know how it effects you. And, of course, I'm not advising anyone to do anything ever. I think this could really work for me though!