RE: snake-bite-easy-herbal-care

vickeym
vickeym Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Home Medicine 101

I just read all 3 parts of the blog on @Marjory Wildcraft's snake bite and was looking for some of medicines she mentioned.

https://thegrownetwork.com/snake-bite-easy-herbal-care-can-home/

In particular I could not find any other reference to this paragraph...

Desperate Times Call for Desperate Measures

The pain was increasing more now. “Kimber, please get me that homemade pain medicine. It’s in the way back of the pantry. The black stuff in the pint jar with the white lid.” Normally, all of my home medicine is labeled and dated. But this stuff was special and only Kimber and I knew about it.

Dave furrowed his brow, “What is that stuff, Hon?” he asked. “If I end up taking you to the hospital, I need to be able to tell them….”

“It’s a low grade level of morphine,” I said. “It’s nothing like the strong stuff they shot you up with.”

Dave had been in such pain in the hospital when he was bitten.

My homemade analgesic could take the edge off the pain, make it bearable. It wasn’t strong enough to take all the pain away. But just taking the edge off is a really good thing sometimes. I rarely used it, and when I did, it was because I really needed it. It is pretty easy to grow the plants for it in your garden and process the medicine at home. I make a batch every few years so I always have a small supply on hand. (If you want to know the process, check out the article in the “Inside Edition,” which is the private blog for those with Honors Lab access—but your local herbalist could probably teach you how to do it, too.)

On occasion we find one of us has gotten into a situation that leaves us with a LOT of pain. We both suffer from back and shoulder issues and I also have problems with both knees. Will only consider surgery as a completely last resort when we can no longer deal with the pain or cannot function with it.

We live off grid and over an hour from the nearest emergency room or hospital.

Is this information still available?

Comments

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭

If I remember correctly someone addressed snake bites here at the grow network. I believe he recommended a poultice of prickly pear and echinacea to extract the poison. I believe kaolin clay was another viable choice when mixed with echinacea. As far as pain relief goes I'm sorry that I am unsure of. Though one of my herbal teachers recommends Passionflower tincture I believe after stings to help lower the anxiety and fear associated with it afterwards.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

@vickeym She may have been talking about using wild lettuce tincture. Its not actually morphine but she may have just said that as a comparison. Hopefully, @Marjory Wildcraft will respond and clarify for us.

The following book should be part of your library on your dashboard.

Wild Lettuce: Nature’s Gift For Pain Relief

• vickeym

@karenjanicki Yes, Marjory says she used prickly pear and mentioned the echinacea as well.

@torey I do not believe she meant actual morphine either, but an herbal med that worked like a milder form of it. At least that is what I am hoping.

Just went and downloaded the wild lettuce book. Time to look into it and then see if it grows here.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

@Vickey I checked with a plant map but couldn't find any Alaska locations where it has spread, although I did find one site listing it as an invasive species in Alaska. It grows in my area and as we have a similar zone, it should grow for you as well. You can get seed on Amazon.

• nksunshine27
    nksunshine27 Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

@vickeym one of the plants for bites was plantain because of its drawing power, dont want to use comfery cause it will heal the infection in a puncture wound

• vickeym

After a bunch of researching and an lucky break I stumbled into the answer. It is the wild lettuce that I was looking for. I have the book called "The Lost Ways" and while reading through it for something else, I stumbled on the fact that it is considered a mild version. Thank you to all who offered help. I also just read the post about chicken feet and their benefits. I see those in our future even more. Would rather correct the problem if possible than treat it's symptoms.