Does anyone make hand sanitizer oneself?

jowitt.europe
jowitt.europe Posts: 1,467 admin

I am quite sceptical about purchased hand sanitizers.

I have so many herbs and tinctures, etc. I think that it should not be too complicated to make a sanitizer oneself. Does anyone have experience and a recipe for a hand sanitizer?

Comments

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭

This is the one I make. It's simple and I use aloe I grow:

1/2 C aloe vera gel

1/4 C vodka or diluted grain alcohol

10-20 drops essential oil of choice

I blend the aloe and alcohol pour into containers then add the essential oil. I don't add herbs but I don't see why you couldn't use herbal infused alcohol.

• jowitt.europe

@annbeck62 thank you! What is the percentage of the alcohol in the sanitizer. Is it as strong as 40%?

I have many tinctures in 40% alcohol so I could use them as they are, or should I dilute to something like 20%?

• flowerpower *
    flowerpower * Posts: 258 ✭✭✭

I looked at making hand sanitizer out of vodka - but I just drank the vodka. :) Local micro-breweries have tooled up to make hand sanitizer based on ethyl alcohol and I find that a good solution, easier and cheaper than making my own. I have noticed that some very nasty ingredients (sometimes as refills, without changing the label) can be found in hand sanitizers available in shops so I carry my own bottle with me. I believe iso-propyl alcohol is not that healthy to place on the skin, since it is toxic. Also Hulda Clarke (a progressive alternative medical practioner) was against it, stating that it caused disease.

I wonder if you would be interested in the surface disinfectant of 10 parts water to 1 part bleach, mixed freshly each day? I rinsed and sat a spray bottle for "Shout" laundry stain remover until it only smelled faintly then placed a new bleach label on it and use it to clean surfaces like door knobs or inside the car after it goes to the garage. You could use other spray bottles too, but I like repurposing things and I thought a plastic strong enough for the Shout would be chemical resistant.

• jowitt.europe

@flowerpower thank you very much for all the hints. Well, I try to put on my skin what I can eat, so drinking Vodka suits very well as an example 😉. I was just thinking of diluting home made tinctures. Those which I made with antiviral, antibacterial plants like: rosemary, oregano, galangal (Alpinia officinarum), ginger... Would it be effective enough, if I dilute it 10 water to 1 tincture parts. May be not enough, if my tincture is with 40% Alkohol, but might be enough if the tincture is with 90%?

I am just reflecting...

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I make my own disinfectant by mixing lacto with a few drops of essential oil and keeping it in a small spray bottle. You can find the recipe on Lacto-Life https://www.lacto-life.com/basic and YouTube. It's useful for cooking and disinfecting. https://www.lacto-life.com/applications

• flowerpower *
    edited October 2020

@Tave The wild lactic acid (LAC) described at the website you mentioned and the idea of making our own probiotics is great.

https://www.lacto-life.com/reasons

• flowerpower *
    edited October 2020

@jolanta.wittib I researched the percentage of alcohol needed to protect against CoronaVirus and the answer is "It depends". How long the product sits on our hands and how much we use and what we are protecting against comes into play. I learned something new here because apparently for a less than 30 second sanitize step at least 80% alcohol is needed, whereas the commercial products use about 70% alcohol. This sounds like a good reason to make your own!

I am making up this recipe for you and I have never tried it. If it is too watery, a different thickener would have to be devised. I am very interested in making gel based medicines, so you have got me thinking about this.

Take one or two glass measures marked with millileters, also have a tight sealing glass jar which is the size of the finished sanitizer batch. The two ingredients must be measured separately because the alcohol blends into other liquids. Place 80 ml of denatured ethanol in one measure, then pour into the jar. Place a few drops of essential oil (say about 20 drops) or tincture (say about 2 ml) into the second measure. Place up to a total of 20 ml of organic aloe vera gel and scent into the second measure, then pour into the jar. Label the jar. This high alcohol product will keep indefinitely, but the alcohol can evaporate. Stir gently, preferably with a glass or wooden stir stick. Cap tightly. Dispense as needed into smaller bottles with a pump lid. This high alcohol product will be drying to the skin. If it is not using denatured alcohol it may be appealing to children, or others.

A variant recipe:

100 ml of 70% store bought microbrewery sanitizer would contain 70 ml of alcohol by volume.

Add 50 ml alcohol to that to make the mixture 80% by volume alcohol sanitizer. (120 ml alcohol / 150 ml total x 100 = 80% .)

See linked article below for more details.

Article stating that alcohol measures are usually by volume, not by weight.

Question for exploration: are there discussions of making gel based medicines on thegrownetwork? Also should we just be using a liquid spray product and not a gel based product?

• sudborough
    sudborough Posts: 36 ✭✭✭

I've made some with 1/4 C Everclear, 2-4 drops each of Tea Tree Oil, Lavender Oil, and Lemon Oil and 1 T. fractionated coconut oil and put it in a silicone flip top container since essential oils can eat through plastic.

A lot of recipes I've found call for aloe vera gel but it gunks up in the alcohol so I substituted the fractionated coconut oil as a moisturizer

• jowitt.europe

@flowerpower thank you very much for your detailed and very informative answer. I am very much interested in using aloe vera gel. I grow aloe vera myself, so I would use my own product. Thank you for the links. It means more reading, watching and then experimenting. I love experimenting.

• jowitt.europe

@sudborough using coconut oil is also a very interesting solution. Thank you for this idea.

• flowerpower *

My untested recipe for 80% plus alcohol hand sanitizer using alcohol plus scent and aloe vera could be adapted to cups and ounces as:

13 fluid ounces alcohol plus 3 fluid ounces combined natural scents and aloe vera gel would make 16 fluid ounces (1 cup).

13/16 x 100 would make a 81% alcohol sanitizer.

• Gil Montano
    Gil Montano Posts: 39 ✭✭✭

Since alcohol is the main active ingredient in a hand sanitizer, a good way to make the results of the sanitizer more efficient is to add more alcohol to a bottle of commercial sanitizer, also by doing this the cost of the product decreases by making it perform more due to the excess of alcohol that is added.