Bought a 50 acre farm!!!!
I haven’t been able to keep up with much on here for the last month or so because my husband and I decided to leave the California suburbs for South Carolina. I have lots of family here, but we are all transplants. We took two and a half weeks to drive across America and then another 3 weeks to find our new home. It was an incredible experience.
We planned to buy maybe a house with 3 bedrooms on 5-10 acres, but we fell in love with some land instead. 50 acres with pasture and an 11 stall barn. The barn has a loft, so we will remodel half the barn into bedrooms (we are a family of 4). We are VERY excited, but while I have experience with gardening, goats, and chickens, I don’t know a thing about larger animals or pasture.
I’m assuming that I need to start reading everything written by Joel Salatin, but if anyone has any advice on, well, just about anything, I thought I’d put it out there!
This Week's Leaders
- All Categories
- 35 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 27 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 356 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 460 Current Events & Breaking News
- 49 Emergency/Disaster Preparedness & Resiliency
- 1.4K Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.7K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 516 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 40 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 530 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 396 The Homestead: DIY
- 1.2K Personal Journals
- 106 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter