Hunting Season: Deer & Coyotes are on the run

dimck421
dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

That time of year to be very alert, while driving, or just out and about. Both deer and coyotes are on the run!

Comments

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Especially during hunting season. You might want to wear red clothing.

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, now is when we don't go for walks in the woods near our place!

• dimck421

@shllnzl even near the house, we wear blaze, when outside. Some are very alert and safe hunters, others are not seem to get caught up in the hunt. Some animals leave injured and angry. Being out, facing one of them, can be a great danger.

@nnie Kate This is my favorite time of year to walk the woodlands. I don't dare do it though, as I know all the dangers.

Be safe everone!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,375 admin

In Canada, it is blaze orange in hunting season, and the rifle season for deer doesn't start until Nov. 11. We never trust the hunters, as hunting season brings out an awful lot of irresponsible people, many who don't care about rules that are there for safety. Some don't care about when it is too dark, if a house/yard may be in line of fire, not hunting from the road, or even knowing the area (read, no permission is/was/will be given).

We don't go outside, even to do chores, without wearing that orange. The horse gets a bright orange halter. I wish we could get blaze orange for our deer colored jersey cows. Going for walks is out of the question.

Our area has fewer farms, so it supposedly gives more deer & less chance to get caught, so some think. 🙄 We watch for new to us vehicles, follow those driving slowly, suspicious whatever, etc. We don't want those types here. It is a danger to people & livestock.

I really hate hunting season (especially the weekends) and breathe a sign of relief when the irresponsible people go back to their homes.

• Tave
    Tave Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss the fall colors of Michigan, but I don't miss having to wear red or orange just to go outside and feeling like I'm in a war zone.

• shllnzl

@LaurieLovesLearning We wear blaze orange too. There are stupid and careless people involved in all activities, but are worth extra caution when they are carrying guns.

You are correct that your cows could be in danger.

Hunting activities in my family are very careful and commonsense.

• Michelle D
    Michelle D Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hunting over all has been experiencing a large decline here over the last several years. The DNR has been practically begging people to hunt, offering incentives, and even in some areas paying people to take a deer. This year, I'm guessing due to the pandemic, it is like someone flipped a switch and people that have never even held a gun before are trying to go get a deer. Firearms season doesn't start until November 15th here, but we are hearing stories every week of people being injured from an illegal hunt. In mid September the state had a special two day early season youth firearm hunt. Four teens in four separate incidents were killed or hospitalized because people were out hunting without knowing what they were doing. We are planning on being far more cautious this year than ever before. It really is a sad and serious situation.

• dimck421

@Michelle D This area has always been heavily hunted. I agree with you, C19 brought out some new hunters. I hear shots all around us. Every year I am leary about walking wooded areas, but this year, for sure, I'd dare not enter. Each year, I hear of hunting accidents. Perhaps the most sad was a teen was walking deer out to an open field, when he emerged, his friend shot him. I know plenty use that meat to feed families and count on it. The deer need to be hunted too...but...

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,361 admin

They are always running around here. Hunting is no issue. We are simply covered with both deer and coyotes. I've been surrounded by a pack of coyotes while hiking, that swarmed my dog and me like bees... and probably wouldn't have made it home had it not been for my .38 and a cool head. Two years ago, I was driving down a back, swamp road in SC and the biggest buck I've ever seen came out in the road and literally charged my truck head on. I tried swerving and changing lanes, but he literally ran straight into me, wrecked my truck and left me pretty beaten up. Had he hit a couple of inches higher, he would have come through the windshield and I'd be dead! Deer are basically goats... they can be aggressive and crazy.

• dimck421

@judsoncarroll4 My grandparents had a deer jump into their car. Once inside, it caused serious injury to both grandparents. I've been chased by deer. I agree. They can be aggressive and crazy! I am glad you were not injured!

Now, being surrounded by a pack of coyotes must have been a horrifying encounter!!! It is a good thing you had your trusty .38 with you! That is the sort of story I have always heard could happen, but I never knew of it happening to anyone. Did they try to separate your dog away from you?

Once, we were cutting tobacco, and a pack stayed at the edge of the field, pacing, watching. We kept a wary eye on them. I imagine had they decided to move in on us, they would have been met with the same sort of persuasion you offered that coyote pack you encountered!

• judsoncarroll4
    edited October 2020

I was really impressed with the coyotes. They circled us constantly as we walked maybe 3 miles. After sunset, they came in closer. Occasionally, one would charge and I'd shoot. They would fall back to a safe distance, then repeat. Eventually, they would have worn us out and I would have run out of bullets had we not been near the house. They were very systematic and organized. If we had run, I'm sure they would have attacked as a pack. They ran around the house, on and under the porch for a long time, looking for a way in.

• dimck421

@judsoncarroll4 That is horrifying!!! I've worried like crazy about my goats. Two guardian dogs are with them, electric fencing, and other fencing. I try to tell myself that the dogs would be considered by the coyotes as established predators. Based on what you just said, I, now, believe I am wrong. How many coyotes were there? You are in SC?

• judsoncarroll4

Oh, no... if you live in coyote country, they are top predator. They will eat dogs or kill them territorially. I'm in the mountains of NC, but things are even worse in the eastern pat of the state. Coyotes are non-native, smart... eat up to 70 lbs of meat each per day. They will kill horse... anything. Trapping is the only thing that works.

• dimck421

@judsoncarroll4 well that pulled me fully out of my false security. I dread hearing them at night. They make the most awful sound. The other night, all my dogs were barking, as the pack passed us. The odd part was a screech owl raid fire screamed out for about 45 minutes, after the pack stopped sounding out. For a while, the state offered a bounty on coyotes. I am not sue if they still do, but I never hear of anyone tracking them, still. Then there is the "hybrid". I am not even certain if it exists or not. I do know I don't want to find out for sure. Goats and dogs move closer to the house tomorrow!

• judsoncarroll4

Check out my friend, Clint Locklear. He worked with the University of Georgia on invasive coyotes. He found they kill 1 in 3 deer. They are smart. They adapt to most anything. There are even coyotes in Manhattan that eat rats and pets, raid dumpsters and even figure out how to get onto the roofs of sky scrapers. They are like killing machines. They just run and hunt and kill and eat.... and they work together like hive of bees. Honestly, I've wandered right into black bears had bobcats follow me, even swam with sharks. Snakes don't scare me. A pack of coyotes freaks me out, because they act like bees. But, sensible, humane trapping really works. I respect coyotes. I don't dislike them. I do fear them if their numbers get too high.

• dimck421

I've heard stories about coyotes. They were always so vague, I discredited them. Now, chatting with you, I am quite concerned. I often walk my property alone, not armed. After this discussion, I realize I have some unsafe habits and need to make adjustments quickly. I knew coyotes were smart and cunning, just by watching them a few times. You educated me. Thank you.

• judsoncarroll4

I would recommend always being armed... you just never know. And, look out for your dogs.. I had one that ran right up on a copperhead, all playful. Kids have less sense than dogs!

• burekcrew86
    burekcrew86 Posts: 248 ✭✭✭

My husband is a hunter and has had to take a coyote down while hunting deer. Be careful everyone.

• dimck421

@judsoncarroll4 I plan to be armed from now on!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited October 2020

Yes, these do exist. These are much more dangerous because they have absolutely no fear of humans.

There was a documentary done on them by a show called the Nature of Things by David Suzuki on CBC. If interested, there are lots of other documentaries listed on this website as well.

Now this got me thinking about our coyotes here (our one Elkhound, primarily a dog to hunt big game incl. elk, moose, bear, wild boar, had no issue with coyotes). A pack hunt is far from common and is not usually how ours hunt. We know of only one story of a pack hunt on a man, who found safety before being harmed. Generally here, they will hunt solitarily or at most, in small groups. The largest we saw was a group of three that was going to challenge one dog we had. We figure it was a territory challenge & a bullet taking down the leader was all that was needed.

I had heard that eastern coyotes were different from ours. This article talks about those coyotes in particular not being pure, but having wolf & dog in their genes (with variations in percentages depending on region), which gives them the pack hunting instinct & the lack of fear of humans respectively. We determined that the video in this article definitely had a coyote with dog in it, as do the other pictures featured.

• judsoncarroll4

If only the fur market would come back... people who hate fur and throw red paint on people who wear it have never seen what invasive, non-native coyotes do to fawns, livestock and pets... nature is NOT Disney!

• LaurieLovesLearning

@judsoncarroll4 I agree. Responsible management, and in certain cases, eradication is important.

• dimck421

@LaurieLovesLearning thank you. Looks like good information. I am pretty sure I saw a coywolf. I can only assume if there was one, there are more. What I saw was dark in colour, than the one featured above. We definitely have a good plenty coyotes here.

• shllnzl

I think I posted this in a different thread too. My guess this coyote in my back yard is part dog.

• LaurieLovesLearning

@shllnzl My husband figures part coyote part wolf.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,517 admin

I'm in agreement with the part coyote, part wolf assessment on this animal. Looks like a wolf body with coyote head.

• Jack_Went_Splat
    Jack_Went_Splat Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

@LaurieLovesLearning Agreed, that's how it appears to me too

• shllnzl

@LaurieLovesLearning @torey @Jack_Went_Splat My husband thought it was a wolf when he saw it. However, I do not think we have wolves this far south. I will let you know if a wolf is ever spotted hereabouts.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited October 2020

There are wolves in SW Utah.

I found other more recent articles after doing a search, but they wanted me to disable my ad blocker. For a one time read, that wasn't about to happen.

There was talk of Mexican Grey wolves bring introduced as well, even in a 2020 article.

All it would take is one to cross.

• shllnzl

@LaurieLovesLearning Wow, I had no idea wolves were that close. We are about an hour away from Springville. We also live within city limits but have open desert nearby that has a clear path to the Red Cliffs conservation area.

I now wonder if I should be contacting our wildlife department in case they want to study the animal(s).

Thanks for finding the article for me.