About echinacea

2»

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@judsoncarroll4 What species are you calling Devil's Club? We have Devil's Club here on the west coast from California to Alaska with some inland populations. I also have heard that there is a small population around northern Lake Superior. It is Oplopanax horridus. But I didn't think it grew along the east coast. Far too many confusing common names!

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭✭

@judsoncarroll4 What a dream place!! Thanks for posting your yard pictures!

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Yep, it is oplopanax (or its twin). You are right that I don't see it listed as native, but where I live is super unique and identical to a west coast temperate rainforest. Next spring I'll contact the botany dept at ASU and take them out to see it. I've run across several and really regret cutting one down in my yard before identifying it several years ago. Also, my property is directly beside what was once a rare plant nursery that specialized in herbs and rare ornamentals, (Gardens of the Blue Ridge) so it could have been propagated by them... stay tuned on that!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@judsoncarroll4 How exciting! I will be very interested to hear what the experts have to say. I hope they will be able to say definitively if this is an escapee or a previously unrecognised native. At any rate, how lucky for you to have found some growing locally. It is a powerful plant ally.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

@torey did some more research - there is no doubt that the plant I am referencing is oplopanax. I recognize the leave, flowers, and of course the spines. I think it may be native, because it is one Ray Hicks used to talk about. But, it could have been one that was brought in. Herbs were big business in the area especially before 1950. I found its eastern distribution including NY in the mountains and several areas around the Great Lakes. Ginseng was being grown commercially from NC, up through PA and into NY - could be someone brought it down. But yeah, even the roots are the same characteristic color.

• spanthegulf
    spanthegulf Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

Ooooo.... I'm so jealous! LOL Seriously... you are blessed to have not only such a rich environment but also the wisdom and knowledge to recognize its value! All the best!

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

I planted echinacea from seeds i ordered. They are thriving so far. No flowers since it's first year. I actually read that Rudbekia (brown eyed susan) is more potent than echinacea and it grows wild everywhere here in middle TN.

So, i transplanted some and I'll do more research on that as it grows.

• NarjissMomOf3
    NarjissMomOf3 Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

I love echinacea for boosting the immune system! Past winter, after giving birth and having several liver issues, my midwife suggested to take echinacea and milk thistle. Sure enough after awhile I felt alive again. Was so miserable.

Also propolis, royal jelly and bee pollen seem to give me more strength.

• Sharie
    Sharie Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if echinacea can be grown without a cold season?

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@nicksamanda11 how interesting. I have Rudbeckia in my garden, but I have never used it as home medicine. I have always collected echinacea. Thank you for this hint. I will read more and start using it!

• frogvalley
    frogvalley Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Rudbeckia is what has been recommended instead of echinacea since it became over harvested. Echinacea Purpurea can grow just about anywhere - and does. Builders include it in their residential landscaping in a lot of places now.