Error in My Ways

dmthennessy
dmthennessy Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

When I was a novice gardener, I planted what appealed to me without researching the plants. This is a cautionary tale. So today I share that I planted bittersweet, whether Asian or American, I do not know. It has covered ash trees killed by the emerald ash borer, and the roots grow wildly in my garden, which I dig out every now and then. It also grows on live trees, and looks like it killed my neighbor’s pine tree. I do go around cutting them down and pulling roots out, to control the spread, as this is necessary for control.

Not only does bittersweet grow where you plant it, but those lovely yellow and red berries are seeds that will gladly sprout wherever they land. And as birds consider them a delicacy, they plant them all over your yard.

Control is necessary because this orange rooted flora, can take over a yard in no time. It's especially important to pull out the seedlings before they grow out of control, and the roots have traveled yards across your garden. As I can't seem to get every little piece of bittersweet root, I am constantly vigilant to spot new growth around my garden.

I'll attach some pictures to identify bittersweet so you can be sure you are not creating a vining jungle.

Still and all, when I see the fall berries, I see beauty.

BITTERSWEET GROWING ON ASH TREE SKELETON

BITTERSWEET BERRIES (UNRIPE)

DUG UP ROOTS OF BITTERSWEET

Comments

• Annie Kate
    Annie Kate Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭

I've done that, too. Creeping charlie, Japanese knotweed....

• dmthennessy
    dmthennessy Posts: 29 ✭✭✭

We are all learning together, with no one really sure where this planet is going! We just have to keep at it.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited October 2020

For me, it was a variety of tansy. After over 15 years, I am finally down to only 4 known plants scattered about everywhere, even though I only gave it one home initially.

If we don't get to dig them out yet this year, it will certainly happen next year.

I have another type that isn't spreading, but it certainly came back from a few missed roots this summer. I am tired of it, even though it has "behaved." I want it gone. Hopefully I can get it all next year.

• bcabrobin
    bcabrobin Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

We planted Russian Olive the first year we lived here as a wind break. It works great for that. But we missed getting the hay fields mowed one year, by the next the Russian Olives that came up in the field that summer were to big for the mower to cut down. we have slowly retaken some areas and have others fielded the goats love that stuff. Now I try to keep the cleared areas mowed 3-4 tx a year at least to keep it at bay. If your looking for something that ever the bears can't get though, just be forewarned - "DON'T PLANT IT"

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

I planted Houttuynia cordata and it took over the area. Won't do that again!

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

My "oops" have been not dead-heading borage flowers before they went to seed which came up everywhere, Pink Jasmine which spreads like crazy and can take down trellis along with clogging up waterways and when I moved in to my house I discovered Flax which each flower gets many seeds to the point it sounds like a rattle when the seeds pods are dried & looks like grass when it first comes up (I have been in my house for over 24 years and I am still digging it up!