Your Favorite Fire Cider Recipe?

Acequiamadre
Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Making Herbal Medicine

I chopped and pounded my ginger, turmeric, garlic and onions for Fire Cider.

Added a bit of rose hips, thyme, jalapeños, black pepper, and lemon. Then doused it with homemade vinegar.

What is your favorite Fire Cider recipe?

Comments

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 968 ✭✭✭✭

I'm pretty sure this is the one that we have used in the past

Rosemary Gladstar’s Original Fire Cider Recipe

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup grated horseradish root

• 1/2 cup or more chopped onions

• 1/4 cup or more chopped garlic

• 1/4 cup or more grated ginger

• Chopped fresh or dried cayenne pepper “to taste”. Can be whole or powdered. “To taste” means should be hot, but not so hot that you can’t tolerate it. Better to make it a little milder than too hot; you can always add more pepper later if necessary.

• Raw honey

• Unpasteurized apple cider vinegar

• Optional ingredients: turmeric, echinacea, cinnamon, etc.

Directions

1. Place herbs in a half-gallon canning jar and cover with enough raw, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to cover the herbs by at least three to four inches. Cover tightly with a tight-fitting lid.

Courtesy of Rosemary Gladstar and mother earth news

https://www.motherearthnews.com/natural-health/fire-cider-recipe-zbcz1512

• Acequiamadre
    edited October 2020

@karenjanicki

How did you like the flavor of the original? I thought by leaving out horseradish my kidlings might like it more. Last winter I had to chase and capture them to get them to take it LOL. My only exercise tho'

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

@karenjanicki @Acequiamadre I was just looking at that very recipe thinking that I need to get some garlic tomorrow.

We could have snow soon & I figured that I'd better get that started before my horseradish is frozen in!

I also plan to get some kimchi done and hopefully shortly after, elderberry syrup as well. Add to that, needing to strain some chickweed, cleavers, and milky oats tinctures, and making chickweed infused oil, and I have a busy day on Wednesday (and maybe Thursday, lol)!

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn't find the recipe I used in the past so I tried this one this time. The only thing I think was different was that last time I put juniper berries in.

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

@Acequiamadre got to say the last one I made was pretty good. I went a little off recipe but it tasted great and worked just fine. Ingredients were; garlic, ginger, tumeric, lemon, honey, black pepper and rosemary.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first batch, I made a Rosemary Gladstar's recipe. I have now made it a few times and each one has been different. I also make large batches. We take a little bit almost every day, and I share with a couple friends. Over the various times I have made it I have added many different things mostly getting ideas from other recipes I find as I do more research. including (though not in every batch) Basil, oregano, thyme, sage, lemon peel and juice, tumeric, Rosemary, jalapenos, black pepper and echinacea.

In future batches I may add other ingredients as well.

As a side not for anyone who raises chickens...We had some very young pullets, maybe around a month old. There were a couple bloody sttols in their coop, signs they could have Coccidiosis. Did not have any medicine and no vets within an hour and a half drive. We gave them some fire cider in their water for a few days. Whatever the cause was the fire cider took care of it. Never had any sign of bloody stool again. Now we give them a bit in their water on a regular basis as a prevention to illnesses.

• Wendy
    Wendy Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

My fiery cider is ready to strain and bottle! I used Rosemary Gladstar's recipe as a guide, but left out the horseradish as I don't like the taste. I added a few extras that were in my cupboard. Hubby tried it last week when he felt a sniffle and enjoyed the taste mixed into orange juice.

-1 large onion -2 inches of gingerroot -1 yellow pepper with seeds

-15 garlic cloves -1.5 tbsp ground turmeric -1 jalepano

-1 tbsp black peppercorns -1.5 cinnamon sticks, broken -1 lemon

-1.5 tsp mustard seed -3 aniseeds (just because I had them!) -1 cup raw honey

7 cups apple cider vinegar

Everything was chopped and added to a half gallon jar with the honey and vinegar. Vinegar pulls out the minerals, honey draws out the water soluble vitamins.

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

That is definitely on my list of things to make. I'm using Sharon Flynn's recipe in Ferment for Good - Ancient Foods for the Modern Gut. Love all her recipes I've tried so far.

Where does one get burdock root if they don't have any growing in their garden?

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭

@Acequiamadre I was ready for fire cider and wanted it now! lol

I found a recipe in FIRE CIDER by Rosemary Gladstar and Friends using all powdered herbs mixed with honey. In 24 hours (oh yes---24 hours) it is thickened with the herbs - when ready to use, add cider vinegar and YUM!!!

I put some in a small container, added the vinegar, and then added a tiny bit of ketchup. WOW---was great on my fish!!

Going to try in on salad next!!

• Acequiamadre

@water2world I will try this next time I need it NOW (often, since I forget to start it ahead of time).

@naomi.kohlmeier I will have to check that recipe out. Starting another batch tonight. You can find Burdock at an Asian Market.

@kbmbillups1 I have juniper berries. Maybe I will add it into round two!

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

I just got an email from a small herbal company with one of their products being featured. Devil's Fire Cider using Devil's Club root as one of the ingredients. This is their list of ingredients. Horseradish root, Ginger root, Garlic, and Cayenne pepper, with sustainably wild harvested Devil’s Club, infused in raw apple cider vinegar (1:4), with unpasteurized honey. Ravensong Seeds and Herbals. https://ravensongherbals.com/honeys-syrups-oxymels/devils-fire-cider?ss_source=sscampaigns&ss_campaign_id=5fbeeb83ba428e1fc921518d&ss_email_id=5fbf18f274f6aa243a888795&ss_campaign_name=Black+Friday+Sale+%7C+Seedy+stocking+stuffers+%F0%9F%8C%BF&ss_campaign_sent_date=2020-11-26T02%3A54%3A48Z

This recipe is going to be mostly for West Coasters as that is primarily where Devil's Club grows. I do know that there is a small population around the Northern Great Lakes area, though. And recently learned that it grows in the temperate rain forest climates in North Carolina. But you might be able to get some dried root from suppliers.

I have access to plants, so I am going to try this for next year as it is a bit chilly for digging right now. I think this will make a particularly potent fire cider.

• Melissa Burford
    Melissa Burford Posts: 69 ✭✭✭

Many moons ago I started with Rosemary Gladstar's recipe, but then changed it to what we needed/wanted, like adding turmeric, more peppers, etc. Liked looking through these answers to see what others do and make a mental note of what I might try next time I make some.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,454 admin

@torey thank you once again for reminding of this discussion. It is a season for getting cold more easily, thus time for me to try out making fire cider. I understood that one has to be careful not to name the product ‘Fire cider” if one wants to sell it. But I will do it for myself and the family.

• Torey

@jowitt.europe The court case found that the term Fire Cider is generic and cannot be trademarked, so no worries about using it for sale.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,519 admin

I know your question is old, but this might help those looking for burdock root in a store. Yes, Asian markets should have it, but a regular grocery store might as well. It is most likely better known in these circles as "gobo root."

You can check health food stores for dried root as well, but I am not sure how well that infuses into a fire cider. Maybe @torey would have an idea.

You want fairly fresh root (unless it has already been prepared & dried). It is easier to wash & slice it. I have read that you want to only wash the dirt & any other gunk off, but keep the dark outer layer on, especially if it is young root. There 8s a lot of goodness in that layer.

• Torey

Burdock root is such an invasive species in my part of the world that it is hard to imagine an area that doesn't have it.

I purchased dried burdock root in my local health food store recently. Companies like Harmonic Arts (Canada) and Mountain Rose (US) both carry dried burdock root.

If you were thinking of adding burdock root to a fire cider, be aware that it will create a sediment as the inulin precipitates out. Happens more so with fresh than dried. I currently have an experiment going for a herbal pharmacy course. I am using dried root in alcohol, fresh root in alcohol and fresh root in vinegar. Its a good adaptogen and liver tonic but not sure how much it would improve fire cider's properties for coughs, colds and flus. One recommendation in the pharmacy class was to make a vinegar-based liver tonic by infusing both burdock and dandelion in ACV.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,454 admin

@torey yes, in the meantime I have read the results of the court case. That was a real success!

• annbeck62
    annbeck62 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭✭

I just started some last week using the traditional recipe without horseradish because I couldn't find any. Sometimes I add tumeric and lemon. I'm getting great ideas for the next batch :)

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

Thanks, everyone for your helpful comments. I ended up not putting the burdock root in as I didn't have any and the recipe suggested that it was optional. I'm pretty excited to try it.