Enclosing a front porch

Nancy Carter
Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

We are replacing the posts on our front porch, there are four total. We would like to eventually enclose the front porch. It already has a roof. Are there any tips or suggestions on how to make our own windows? The area is approximately 10 ft from the front door to the front of the porch and approximately 20 ft wide. It will need a door on the front and a door on one side as our walkways are already established. I would like it to be as sunny as possible but I'm also not interested in spending a bunch of money. I would like to reclaim or recycle as much of the material as possible. The floor area is cement.

Comments

• Melissa Swartz
    Melissa Swartz Posts: 270 ✭✭✭

If you have a Habitat for Humanity Restore location nearby you can often find inexpensive windows there.

• Thomas
    Thomas Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

Melissa is right about the reclaimed material idea. If not Habitat, there are usually at least one other 'type' of reclaimed store in big city's that might be near you. Where I live we don't have any Habitat type stores, but we have one upscale reclaimed store, and one redneck store. Gives quite a margin of quality and materials. 😋

• Thomas
    Thomas Posts: 81 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

@Nancy Carter, I apologize, I meant to respond to the whole email, so here goes...

I have looked into making windows before, and it can be quite an interesting project - read difficult because of lack of tools, knowledge and experience. I ended up being patient and finding a great deal on craigslist. I was able to get 12 low e vinyl windows (single hung) for $150.

If you do find an innovative way of making your own windows let me know! I always love to learn.

Good luck on this!

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find free windows along the road here all the time. Construction sites also have them for free when they replace windows.

You can get a very cute and creative look using windows for enclosing porches and making greenhouses.

• Nancy Carter
    Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭

I will look into the Habitat store, that sounds promising. Around here a lot of people use old windows for crafts so they are hard to come by.

• Lisa K
    Lisa K Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where I live if a patio has really windows our property tax will be reassessed so a way around that is to just screen it in. My plan is to have plywood on the bottom to create a wainscoat and then screen to create the windows.

• Cherlynn
    Cherlynn Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Put out an inquiry to see if anyone has old windows they want to get rid of. I've done this several times and never once paid for them. A couple times they even delivered them.