Brussels sprout

Nancy Carter
Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Vegetables

I planted Brussels sprouts earlier this year and I am not happy with their turnout! Are there any suggestions that I may use for next year? They are not very tall, and did not yield many sprouts. Should I plant them near different veges next year? This year they are near cucumbers. I started them indoors in March and put them outside about early June. When should they be harvested? What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• JodieDownUnder
    JodieDownUnder Posts: 1,483 admin

I love brussel sprouts and have failed to grow a decent crop. Thinking that my area is not for them. They take forever to mature, from planting to picking, roughly 30 weeks! Need full sun and lots of compost.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

My Brussel sprouts didn't do well this year either. They stayed the same size as transplants for quite awhile before starting to grow. They didn't get as tall as usual and the sprouts are very small. Bugs have been at them, too. We got our fist frost last night, albeit very light, so I don't think they are going to get much more chance to develop. Maybe just not a good year for them. Don't give up, though. Try again next year cause home grown Brussel sprouts are the best.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

My brussel sprouts are still just sprouts but I planted over amonth ago. I'm super disappointed as well.

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could just be a bad year for them. In my area it was broccoli and cauliflower. Even gardeners who hsve grown them in our community for years had issues this year.

• lewis.mary.e
    lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

Brussel sprouts seem to be finicky. We've grown them a couple of times and they only did well one year. It's on my list to research growing conditions so we can try again next year.

• naomi.kohlmeier
    naomi.kohlmeier Posts: 380 ✭✭✭

@jodienancarrow no lie! Mine are taking forever to mature. Second year in a row I've not harvested them. I did notice there are tiny ones on there right now, hoping to keep them alive a few more weeks, but it's supposed to freeze hard this weekend. Boo! I've heard that they can be taken inside, but where to put them? Not sure I want to bring outdoor soil indoors.

• Acequiamadre
    Acequiamadre Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I have never been able to grow these. I have "growing brussel sprouts" on my bucket list....

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

I have a ‘forest’ of Brussels sprouts. I grow them in my high beds. I have noticed that they love fresh, not really rotten compost. So in spring I spread not rotten compost (20-30 cm) and cover it with about 10 cm of ready soil. I plant my own seedlings. They grow so well, that I am sure we will have enough during the comming winter. I do not use any additional fertiliser. The compost gives enough nutrients. My Brüssel sprouts keep so well during winter even when we have - 15C. I harvest fresh sprouts until end of March.