Chiretta question

judsoncarroll4
judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin
edited October 2020 in Herbal Medicine-Making

Who can tell me about Chiretta? It is an herb I've never used and I'm finding some conflicting info. @torey do you know this one? I'm seeing two plants listed as chiretta:

ANDROGRAPHIS PANICULATA and Swertia chirayita

Comments

• Linda Bittle
    Linda Bittle Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a new one for me, too. I see several articles, but nothing by my go-to herbalists. Even K.P. Khalsa didn't have anything that I could find.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

@judsoncarroll4 I will get back to you. I am not familiar with the name Chiretta but I do know a bit about Andrographis from Ayurvedic classes. I have never heard of the name Swertia chirayita. Andrographis is also called green chiretta so maybe there is a difference between chiretta and green chiretta? Andrographis is called "king of the bitters" so a great one for you to be looking at. It has many uses in Ayurveda.

Anyhow, I will do some research and hopefully have a more definitive answer.

• Torey

One of my Ayurvedic texts says that Swertia chirata is synonymous to Andrographis in its actions. A Modern Herbal suggests that there are other plants that also may be called Chiretta, Chiratta, Chirata. It is very confusing when the same or similar names are used for two or more plants that may or may not be related, or when one plant has several names which you can also see listed below. In this case I think Andrographis and Swertia could be used interchangeably.

Andrographis paniculata (Kalmeg, Nimba, Kiryat, Green Chiretta) – Acanthaceae.

Native to India and Sri Lanka, growing up to 500 meters. Fairly common and widespread.

This is a link to a Banyan Botanicals article that mentions Andrographis discussing its use for upper respiratory infections, improving digestions and reducing nausea. https://www.banyanbotanicals.com/info/blog-banyan-vine/details/ayurvedic-herbs-for-a-healthy-respiratory-system/

This link is for another article listing the properties of Andrographis. https://www.empoweredautoimmune.com/single-post/2018/01/13/10-Reasons-to-Add-Andrographis-to-Your-Medicine-Cabinet

I have an article by KP Khalsa called Breathe Free with Ayurvedic Herbs but I can't find the online link anymore. It talks about the benefits of Andrographis for respiratory tract infections, reducing symptoms and recovery times.

Swertia chirata or Swertia chirayita (Kiratatikta, Chiretta, Indian Gentian)– Gentianaceae  

Native to Nepal, in the Himalayan region, where is grows at higher elevations. It is an endangered species.

This is a link to a review article on the benefits of Swertia chirata. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4709473/

Even though they may be used interchangeably, it is probably best to use Andrographis rather than Swertia due to its status.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

• judsoncarroll4

That is AWESOME, @torey ! I'll read through everything this evening. I'm thinking they may be a good ingredient in immuno-supportive bitters, along with sage and a few other things.

• Torey

I really like these questions. Keeps me on the learning curve and has me re-reading texts that I should have gone into more deeply the first time.

I think I will be putting andrographis on my next herb order.

• judsoncarroll4

I know what you mean. Any time I find out I made a mistake or didn't know something, it sends me digging for info!