Skills to build on during the winter

2»

Comments

• John
    John Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

Working on some art type crafts and hobbies and saving seeds. HEHE! The seed catalogs will be arriving in just a few weeks-get ready everyone! :)

• I am going to work on catching up on my reading and learning. I have courses here on the Grow Network and elsewhere to finish. So many projects in mind. Not in a hurry for shoveling snow though. :)

• DurwardPless
    DurwardPless Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Thanks to TGN I have so much to learn I don't know where to start. I think I will start with growing herbs for medicine.

DDP

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

So many herbal classes I would love to get time to take them all, but will have to settle for a slow steady pace. Plus hope to get some things canned, We are off grid so freezer space is usually a very valuable commodity. Winter time is not as bad as we live in Alaska so the freezer gets very large at this point. Almost any secure container that is placed outside becomes another freezer if we need it.

There are several craft projects I would like to get to, and many more things to learn, study and get ready for before my spring garden expansions start. Always more to do than we have time to get to. Between having a small farm and working full time there isn't always much time left for the "extra" things I want to get to.

• Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 117 ✭✭✭

2 goals this winter;

Bench Press 300 lbs again. This will be huge since I'm almost 60 yrs old!

Work on my Timber Framing Skills and learn at least 3 new Joinery Techniques! One of our goals is to build a Timber Frame cabin in a cold dry climate. The humidity in the south is killing me!

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Slippy "One of our goals is to build a Timber Frame cabin in a cold dry climate. The humidity in the south is killing me!" I so hear you. The summer humidity up along Lake Erie kills me every summer. Planning to move SouthWest when I retire.

• VermontCathy
    VermontCathy Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just remember that it will be more difficult to produce your own food in a dry climate.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've already got several books on SouthWest gardening. Research is a good winter project.