Uh oh Daisy dog got sprayed by a skunk

Nancy Carter
Nancy Carter Posts: 202 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Dogs & Cats

Our dog got sprayed by a skunk the other night and an interesting thing happened...My mother in law can not smell it! Daisy dog came back in and rubbed on my mother in laws leg, so the smell was in the house. She had no idea, my husband and I were almost sick from the smell. It was the oddest thing. I didn't know that some people can't smell the skunk smell! Daisy is doing well by the way.

Comments

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

UGH... been there! Dawn dish detergent and tomato juice baths (alternating) works best.

• Cherlynn
    Cherlynn Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

One of the signs of covid is a loss of smell. She might be an Asystemic carrier. I can't imagine someone not able to smell skunk. When our dog came back that way we went through a lot of tomato juice and it took 3 days to be rid of it.

• Nancy Carter

@Cherlynn my husband looked it up and theres an actual condition regarding a small percentage of the population that can not smell skunk scent. She can smell everything else around us like the dinner cooking and the soaps and all just not the skunk !

• Nancy Carter

@judsoncarroll4 we used dawn dish soap and that worked great!

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

I had a border collie who felt certain skunks were his look-alike BFFs. The budding friendship always traveled a path well taken. Chatting and light banter through the chain link fence. Usually, some difference in opinion arose, which would crescendo with a most delightful misting upon poor Whisper. He walked away, offended. Skunk walked away, feeling victorious. (I could tell by the way they walked.) Dawn, lots and lots of Dawn dish detergent will, surely, be your BFF!

• dimck421
    dimck421 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

The inability to smell skunk? What a blessing! lol

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin
    edited October 2020

@Nancy Carter @Cherlynn My husband can only smell skunk extremely occasionally if it is so faint nobody else can. Most often, he can't smell it.

He doesn't smell many things, it isn't just skunk. It gets frustrating when any of us want him to smell something...he misses out on wonderful smells too.

We usually just avoid our dog if he gets skunky. He is always outdoors. It goes away eventually.