Shampoo alternatives

Paradox
Paradox Posts: 187 ✭✭✭

@Marjory Wildcraft , a few years back, you did a video/post about looking for shampoo/cleaning alternatives that, ideally, didn't involve using resources that would be better as food (like eggs). Have you considered growing soapwort? or whatever plant provides soapnuts? I'm just starting to use a soapnut shampoo. I found the recipe in the book "Making It" by Kelly Coyne & Erik Knutsen. My hope is that it will be gentle enough for every day.

Comments

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

Here is a discussion that touches on shampoo alternatives and mentions soapwort and others and well as other washing solutions.

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭✭

I actually purchased some soapwort seeds for that very reason :). I'm a huge history fan and I was watching war time farm with Ruth Goodman. She was making shampoo from soapwort and I was fascinated! I love to try new herbs as I learn more about herbalism so it's an exciting prospect to utilize them more and more in my daily life.

• Paradox
    Paradox Posts: 187 ✭✭✭

I was going to go buy some, and then I had to pause... I already had!! :) Got them this last spring, early in the quarantine, but didn't have room enough to plant them this year. Next year, we need to add copious compost to the beds, and then I can find a little space to put some.. It's a perennial, right? I think.. so I know just the place.. I have two 4x8 perennial/herb beds. One is Lemon Balm & Spearmint. I'll put the Soapwort in the other with some other medicinal herbs. (because I'm afraid of soap flavored lemon balm)

• LaurieLovesLearning

I found a new addition to consider!

You can use Rose of Sharon leaves to make a shampoo.

• water2world
    water2world Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭

These posts are exciting--I will be trying to make shampoo!

• Marjory Wildcraft
    Marjory Wildcraft Posts: 1,617 admin

Hi @Paradox honestly I have not been focusing on shampoo alternatives for the last few years. But I'll probably get back into it here very soon. I did co-wrote this ebook https://thegrownetwork.com/home-made-shampoo-ebook/

I really really like the egg shampoo recipe, but uh, yeah it takes eggs which are valuable food (and getting more valuable every day).

Here is a funny video where one of my shampoo experiments did go so well. LOL Pokeweed root has a lot of saponins and makes nice suds but has some other seriously bad components which made me sick.

This is the article that summarizes the mistake! LOL https://thegrownetwork.com/homemade-shampoo-disaster/

• water2world

@LaurieLovesLearning I will! MANY years ago, my uncle had a mink ranch (I know, I know), but he made a shampoo with mink oil. I saw the results in my grandmother's and aunt's hair (9 children in that family). My grandmother had long thin hair and it thickened up like she was young--same result with everyone that used it. Wish he had written down that recipe and I'd love to try varying it! I was too young to think of that! lol

• LaurieLovesLearning

@water2world That sounds fascinating. I wonder if a person could actually find mink oil to use. I know it is used in some products. I wonder what the mink oil actually contributed to his shampoo?

Would any family members possibly have the recipe somewhere or remember it somehow?

I just ordered the red pinecone ginger seeds. I will see if I can successfully grow it indoors!

• Kuri and Kona
    Kuri and Kona Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

For those who haven`t grown soapwort yet, it is a perennial and will rapidly multiply, so you will want to keep it somewhere where you don`t mind it spreading!

• water2world

@LaurieLovesLearning Nobody has it, but now wishes they did!! I remember a Shampoo Company (I think--Breck?) contacted him and wanted the formula or such. He wouldn't part with it! He was always doing something!! I always enjoyed spending my summers at their home, and of course Grandparents and several aunts and uncles lived within walking distance!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    edited May 2022

@water2world Well, I went on a search. I found this company that sells 100% pure mink oil (scented/unscented), no added chemicals. Added scents are EOs. They will ship within the US, to Canada & to Britain/UK (I forgot already, lol). They sell smaller amounts & bulk as well.

I couldn't find a liquid mink oil shampoo recipe, but found a shampoo bar recipe here:

I am so curious to know now if just substituting the mink oil for another oil (say, almond oil, etc.) in any liquid shampoo recipe would work or if less is desirable.

Also, thinking about massage oils & healing oils, I bet you could do some wonderful things with it. I read that it will soak down 15 epidermal layers within 15 minutes, making it a great healing oil. I'm thinking healing herbs, magnesium chloride lotion...

If only I knew this when we were trying to get our persistent chicken massacring mink all those years ago. Grr. I would have worn it in more ways than one!

Maybe it's time to find a trapper of mink.

• water2world

@LaurieLovesLearning Now this is really exciting! I am going to order some and let the "playing" begin!

Thanks so much for the link--never dreamed I could purchase mink oil! And I can get it without dealing with the meanest animals (in my opinion) in the world!

• LaurieLovesLearning

Awesome! Please post your trials, errors & recipes!

• vickeym
    vickeym Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2022

Does anyone know if the sweet william that is sold at Johnny's or other seed companies will also have the soap nuts? Not sure if the wild is actually the same plant or just a similar name.

Well, I should have looked more before asking. No they are not the same. lol For anyone not sure what to look for Saponaria officinalis is the soap nut plant.

• nicksamanda11
    nicksamanda11 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks!

• LaurieLovesLearning

I got my red pinecone ginger seeds. Now, Im nervous!

I will most likely plant them tomorrow. Then, hopefully I do everything right for them to sprout. They have to stay within a certain temperature, which I can hopefully do. It will take 1-3 months for them to sprout.