Willow harvest timing & use

silvertipgrizz
silvertipgrizz Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2021 in Herbal Medicine-Making

best time or year to use for healing and other thoughts?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Spring is generally the optimal time for harvesting willow but if you need it, it can be harvested anytime. Even on the spot for emergency first aid as it says in the article. I can't imagine using willow as food. Every willow I have tasted is so tannic, it dries up ALL of the saliva in your mouth. Very good article, by the way. Thanks for posting @silvertipgrizz. I have bookmarked this site so I can go through some of her other blog articles.

• jowitt.europe
    jowitt.europe Posts: 1,465 admin

@silvertipgrizz Williow bark is my “Aspirin” no 2. The first one is Meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria). I always have either one of these, or rather both. And I would never ever think of using Aspirin from the Pharma industry again. Why should one damage ones stomach, when one can achieve the same result (or even a better one) without damaging side effects.

i peel the bark from two year old branches - a finger thick branches (in spring or in autumn), cut into small pieces, dry, grind before use and make infusions. I usually add ground willow bark to other herbs for cold or fewer.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since I have plenty of willow alongside our ditch in back, I'm going to try willow bark tea when I need aspirin, With plenty of honey. Already know about the taste without.

• Desiree
    Desiree Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

I have quite a few white willows to harvest from but I usually choose the spring since I can get the inner back much easier then.

I am curious though, most references say that all willows will be comparable medicinally, does pussy willow fall into this category as well?

• Monek Marie
    Monek Marie Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use my willow more for crafting (baskets, cages, mats wall hangings and frames) or for rooting hormones. it also works as a dye

I have also weaved it for erosion control fencing along my creek bank.

I have used it like aspirin but will have to try these other uses.

I don;t think pussy willow has the same uses. It definitely is not as tannic

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

Even though White Willow is most often referred to as the medicinal species, all willows contain salicin. Some willows may not be as strong as others but the taste test works to determine if it will make a good medicinal product. How much does it taste like chewing on an aspirin? We have over 50 willow species listed for my province and I have yet to find one that is not of medicinal quality.