DIY Cheap Compost Bin

roytg94
roytg94 Posts: 47 ✭✭✭

I just found this link. Can't wait to try it this fall.

If you have a lot of compost to process, here is a cheap alternative: USE WIRE MESH CLOTH with stakes. Make it yourself as big and tall as you want (minimum of 3 feet on all sides).

https://www.basicsofgardening.com/wire-mesh-compost-bin.html

Comments

• ltwickey
    ltwickey Posts: 369 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the link. Very interesting and looks super simple!! I think it would be a great alternative for people who like or only have space/resources for smaller compost bins. I also like the idea of making a couple of these and having several smaller bins, rather than one large one.

• Grounded
    Grounded Posts: 153 ✭✭✭

This design looks very adaptable/portable, which is a plus if your gardening at a community garden plot, or, if you don't have a lot of room. I think mesh wire could be used to section off already existing barriers (I have an area behind my garage where the fence and garage wall work as three sides and the mesh barrier would work as the fourth. Thanks for the link.

• RustBeltCowgirl
    RustBeltCowgirl Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

It could also be used for a "keyhole" garden where a small compost bin is a fixture in the middle of it.

• John
    John Posts: 163 ✭✭✭

Thanks for this, was contemplating something for the Spring to get going on! :)