Winter Is Coming

lewis.mary.e
lewis.mary.e Posts: 225 ✭✭✭

We had snow on Friday morning and the highs are supposed to be high 30s low 40s this week. My husband started a fire in the outdoor wood furnace a few minutes ago. Our yard is covered in fallen leaves. I had predicted snow before my birthday (November 4th), but this came sooner than I expected.

Comments

• karenjanicki
    karenjanicki Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭

I think we are about to have our first snow here relatively soon. Where we are we have had snow as early as September I think in seasons past though it's unusual. We have also had snow as late as April but that was also an anomaly. But the days are definitely getting shorter and chillier. I'm looking forward to the first snow honestly.

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,679 admin

We have snow on the ground and had a couple of nights down to -13 & -14 (6-8F) but today it is pouring rain and hovering just above freezing. Some areas are having freezing rain. Suppose to change to snow during the night but then rain in the forecast again. Not too happy about this. I don't like wet cold. Would much sooner have it colder but drier.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,576 admin

We had snowfall & freezing rain in various locales this morning, and I read that our highways were icy. Now, it is above freezing. We have had down to -17°C already and many nights of cold. Some days have remained below the freezing mark. It is supposed to go up to +10°C by Saturday.

I agree @torey, a dry cold is better after a blanket insulates the frozen ground. Sometimes we have had snowfall insulate the ground so that it didn't freeze much. That can cause issues at times.

I am just waiting on that last cow to have a calf during freezing rain. That would not be good.