Cleaning the Woodstove

LongTallDrink
LongTallDrink Posts: 17 ✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in DIY Tutorials

I like to save the big woodstove cleanup till the fall and apparently it's here, so I'd better get at 'er. Not my favourite job, but it has to be done so the ol' homestead doesn't burn down. Also, to make it look purty. Which it most certainly doesn't at the moment - we had a hotter than usual summer and with our Atlantic humidity, the woodstove's growing rust like mould on this year's pot. 😜

Here's my question: has anyone got hacks for cleaning up the woodstove that don't include nasty off-gassing blacking agents?

I read recently about dipping the cut edge of a potato in baking soda and rubbing it in - has anyone tried that?

Also wondering about using a high smoke point oil to season the thing after it's clean, like I do my cast iron pans.

What does the great hive mind think?

Comments

• Torey
    Torey Posts: 5,690 admin

@LongTallDrink

What make of stove do you have? Mine is an Enterprise Monarch.

I also hate the blackening agents. If I get any rust, I use a bit of steel wool and then a high temp oil and have a low fire for a couple of hours. But its usually only a little spot of rust where it had a wet pot put on it when it wasn't hot. Not rust like an ocean climate will do.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

@torey Wow. You are lucky. Those are gorgeous!

• Torey

@LaurieLovesLearning Yes, I know how lucky I am. I get compliments every time there is someone new in my house. I have had some ask if it is real or just an ornament. LOL. Little do they know how much use it gets. A friend was canning with me for the first time this year and she said that all canning would be done at my house from now on. So handy to have the wood stove to simmer things on while the propane stove is going full blast keeping the canners boiling.

• Charlie
    Charlie Posts: 18 ✭✭✭

@torey I feel a photo is necessary :) I've inherited a wood burning stove(I believe more of a parlour stove) with room for a couple of pots on top with our new place. The previous tenants didn't use it at all which is shocking as a fire in winter is too good to pass up. The interesting and somewhat scary fact is that there is no label or writing on it at all. So this could be a fine adventure.... :) Going to the roof soon to see what it looks like from on high. I know one thing, it's not anywhere near as nice as an Art Garland and it's definitely not as nice as what you're cooking with. But if all ends well, it should provide for some cozy nights.

• LongTallDrink

@torey

Very nice! There was an old Monarch in the house I tried to buy before I settled for this one, but I was going to have to take it out to get insurance. They're very picky about woodstoves in this neck of the woods.

Mine is a humble Regency (the names, eh?!). Totally not designed for cooking on, but I do so anyway, since it's going pretty much non-stop for 6 months. Can't believe I've gotten away so long this year without firing it up - I'm actually looking forward to the morning ritual, but the cleaning part, especially the chimney!

I think I might try the steel wool and potato trick and then oil. What oil do you use? I've got a surplus of coconut oil at the moment, which is what I typically use on my cast iron.

• Torey

I tried resizing it but it doesn't seem to have worked. Not very tech savvy about this.

Just had a conversation with a friend who is moving and taking her stove with her, even though the new house (as yet) has no room for her stove. I won't be giving this one up, either.

• Angel
    Angel Posts: 61 ✭✭✭

Wow, what an amazing stove!

• LongTallDrink

Very nice! I've never seen one sitting flat on the floor like that - nice not to have to clean under it!

I officially have stove envy.

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,604 admin

Yep. I agree. A bit of envy. lol Never give it up.

Beautiful stove, @torey!