Rodent chews

VickiP
VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I can't be the only one who deals with this! Winter is coming and already the little jerks are invading my spaces! I found mouse droppings in my car this morning. Every year we have mechanic bills due to rodents chewing the wires on our cars, truck, tractor etc. We have tried many things to combat these vermin, to no avail. What does everyone else use that actually works? I am going to pop the hoods to start, what about solar lights under the vehicles? Anything that actually repels them. I absolutely am not opposed to death traps if any will slaughter enough of them to make a deference. HELP!

Comments

• seeker.nancy - Central Texas
    seeker.nancy - Central Texas Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭

The only thing I have found that works is consistent trapping. I'm having to do that in my raised beds for the first time this year. I just put them in the path they use, which will usually be by a wall or some sort of cover. I don't even need to bait them usually. But if you do, I've found peanut butter to work the best. I suppose any nut butter would work though. They can't just grab the bait and run, thereby missing the snap. I wish you the best and by all means if someone know something that works better (not poison) I would love to know what it is!

• shllnzl
    shllnzl Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

We use an electronic rodent zapper for our cabin. You plug it in, put bait inside and wait for a beeping sound to let you know that a rodent has been electrocuted. It is the most merciful way I can think of to reduce the population. The ravens appreciate the extra food too.

Amazon has several versions; the one we bought is no longer available.

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,490 admin

Oh, I thought this might be a Frank Zappa reference! Yes, I have tons that show up in winter. A bucket trap seems to work best. You set up a 5 gallon bucket with some antifreeze in the bottom..... put little ramps up the sides for them to climb, then tape the handle into the upright position. Put some peanut butter and unsalted sunflower seeds on the plastic part of the handle... the part that spins around. They climb up to get the treat and fall in the antifreeze. You can kill dozens per night... then use them for coyote bait!

• LaurieLovesLearning
    LaurieLovesLearning Posts: 7,573 admin

I think it is a multi-attack approach. Nothing is completely successful.

We have lots of cats. We have cats outside & in our basement. Our dog will hunt. Certain breeds are specifically bred for hunting rodents...jack russell & others.

Of course, you'll know to find holes & seal them, keep grass down & keep wood piles, etc. far from the house or other buildings. Get rid of old vehicles sitting around. Keep feed locked up and try to minimize spills.

Trapping, using water bucket traps is supposed to work really well.

We use a deterrent as well. Many farmers use it here in the cabs of their vehicles. It smells really strong...like stinks, but it works. It is Grandpa Gus's Mouse Pouches. There is a spray as well. These need to be renewed and old ones taken out once their time is done.

These are my suggestions.

I hate reading about rodents.

• Merin Porter
    Merin Porter Posts: 1,026 admin

Agree with the multi-faceted approach. We live in the mountains, and it's always about this time of year when we start really having to deal with mice. I think the cooler weather and reduced food sources drives them in.

Agree that cats are a good deterrent. Chickens can be, too, in a general "reduce the overall population" way. We've had great success with Buckeyes doing this for us.

Also, close up exterior holes (like ash cleanouts on fireplaces, etc.). I believe some people successfully plug holes with copper "steel wool."

Perhaps most important, remove any food sources. For us, this looks like storing all the bread items in a secure place at night, like inside the microwave; storing bags of flour in secure plastic containers, and doing something similar with other edibles; storing the dog food in a sealed plastic container; and putting the dog food bowls away at night (even if there's no food left in them -- there are still crumbs, and that seems to be enough excuse for mice to poop all over them).

Finally, use traps -- something quick and effective so that it's as humane as possible. We found this year that, for some reason, the mice were able to steal the peanut butter off the classic Victor pedal traps without triggering them. So we upgraded to these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N2RT33P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 They have been much more effective, and our mouse problem has seemed to go away. Thank goodness.

• kbmbillups1
    kbmbillups1 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

For several years we would get mice in our garage in the winter. I saw somewhere that if you put steel wool in the spaces where you see light that they won't be able to get through. We haven't had any since. (Knock on wood!) We also have a cat that thinks outside is sitting on top of the car in the garage so that probably helps as well.

• VickiP
    VickiP Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭

I have looked up bucket traps in the past and think I may try some this year. We don't get them in the house, but they do get into the attic so we do trap and kill those. I will look into the Grandpa Gus's. I have used the Victor ones but found they became ineffective, maybe I should switch it up. Thanks for all the suggestions!