It looked like a zombie apocalypse !
We are half way through spring here in Australia and the seasons looking pretty good on the east coast. A wet summer/autumn is predicted and we've had some nice rain in recent weeks. The veggie garden is starting to jump into action but I'm having serious trouble with slugs. A lot of my seedlings are being eaten by these little varmits. So yesterday I took 3 bottles of beer and some plastic containers over and placed them strategically around. Within 1/2 an hour slugs appeared, sliding up the containers and to their death. I rubbed my hands with glee. 1 hr later, it seemed slugs had been drawn to action and slowly slid their way toward the aroma that seems to really get their attention. This morning every container had many dead slugs. One happy gardener.
So what is it about beer that attracts these very hungry pests?
This Week's Leaders
- 606 All Categories
- 21 Our Front Porch Welcome! (Please Read Before Posting)
- 24 Introductions & Region-Specific Discussions
- 195 Educational Opportunities & Resources
- 375 Current Events & Breaking News
- 995 Our Garden: Growing Food
- 1.1K Our Apothecary: Natural & Home Medicine
- 399 The Back 40: Animal Husbandry & Harvesting
- 28 The Bush: Wild Game and Survival
- 272 Our Kitchen Table: Food Prep
- 291 The Homestead: DIY
- 835 Personal Journals
- 74 The General Store: Sell, Buy, & Barter