Course - For All of Us Who are Bitters Fans

Torey
Torey Posts: 5,640 admin

Following is a link to an online course: "From Snake Oil to Craft Cocktails: This History, Ingredients, Use and Making of Bitters". Its not free but only $15 CA and is a two hour presentation.

https://ubcfarm.ubc.ca/events/event/online-snake-oil-to-craft-cocktails-the-history-ingredients-use-and-making-of-bitters-october-29-2020/

Comments

• DurwardPless
    DurwardPless Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

This is probably a stupid question to some but - Bitters, as in good for your liver bitters or is this an alcohol drink?

DDP

• Torey

The info byte about this course says that it is going to talk about the ingredients in bitters and their medicinal value but also about their uses in cocktails. Some bitters are intended for use as liver tonics, digestive aids, circulatory aids and/or immune boosters as well as flavouring agents for food & cocktails. Some will fill several purposes. Angostura bitters is a well known cocktail additive but is excellent for nausea and stimulates digestion. @judsoncarroll4 has done several excellent posts on bitters and their historical uses. Type bitters into the search box and see what comes up.

• DurwardPless
    DurwardPless Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Thank you very much! I had very little time to devote to the site yesterday and often get distracted. Your description of this course is what I needed and has drawn me in to take the course when I can find time to devote to it. DDP

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,461 admin

I completed filming my course on Bitters for The Grow Network a couple of weeks ago - just waiting on final reviews and edits.... fingers crossed it will be live here soon!

• Torey

So looking forward to this @judsoncarroll4. It will be a great addition to TGN's Academy!

• judsoncarroll4
    judsoncarroll4 Posts: 5,461 admin

Thanks - I had fun with it; very informal... as you would expect from me.