Home   |   About Us   |   GROW: The Book   |   Blog   |   Join Us   |   Shop   |   Forum Rules

Herb Spirals — The Grow Network Community
You grow through consistency

- Gary Vaynerchuk

Herb Spirals

monica197monica197 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Garden Design

So I spent the day today building an herb spiral. I had some very large stones lining my garden edge and I repurposed them into the spiral. I spent a fair amount of time drawing out my space on graph paper then got to moving the rocks around. I am super happy with how it turned out. And I have room on two of the 'sides' for tomatoes and cucumbers along the fence...and I didn't even have to move my coneflower (you can see that in the lower left hand corner)...and my rosemary found a home right on top! It is perfect for my super small space.

Comments

• Denise GrantDenise Grant Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭

What herbs have you slected for your garden?

• spanthegulfspanthegulf Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

That is awesome, @monica197 ! Wow... your rocks are really nice! I had never even heard of herb spirals until a couple of months ago, and I hope to build one this winter to have ready for planting in the spring. Question: what orientation to the sun are you using... or is that even an issue because of the spiral design? Are you using "garden" soil or "container" soil? Any other tips for a newbie to herb spirals? Thanks!

• monica197monica197 Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭

I am striating with the ones that I have been able to seed in pots - plantain (for my rabbits), tulsi, dill (to name a few)

I am actually going to use part of the space for some lettuce greens as well interspersed in the herbs - for bug control

this spiral is an e/w orientation - it is a VERY hat area which is why I thought tomatoes would work on the west fence face in the winter (I am in zone 9A)

First I want to say, I am new at this too. I have been researching a bit and spoke to a friend who is a permaculturist and after synthesizing all of that together and drawing my yard, I got started.

The rocks were so heavy!! Thankful I was only going up two high. I am not sure I would have been able to get them up to a third layer.💪

depending on how big your spiral is and how much dirt you have in the area to start with you can use compost on the top bit from what I understand and fill the bottom of the spiral (as you build) with leaves, junk dirt, etc

What I did: I took an area that I had used as a garden for many years and put the spiral there so there was a lot of dirt there ti begins with. I pushed it all over to the middle to clear the fence line back down to 0. Then I had the mound in the middle to finagle as I stacked rocks. Having the dirt there helped so the rock had something to settle in against...and the rocks then helped keep the dirt in.

I would set a few rocks and sit back and look at it. Move some dirt. Reposition stuff. and Sit back and look at it again. I was conscious of measurements and what rocks I used where so that it graduated up and was not topsy-turvy.

When everything is in place I topped off with some compost and manure.

Then I replanted my rosemary (I hope it likes it up there) and marveled at how I was able to work around my coneflower without breaking it off by accident.

When all was said and done the actual build only too me a few hours - maybe 2.5. It went really quick. Post a photo of yours when you get it built. We would love to see it!

• frogvalleyfrogvalley Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

What a lovely project. I first saw a plant spiral in a Denver botanical garden and wanted to make one. Well, that was about five years ago. Your spiral inspires me to plan one as we redo our space. Thank you for the reminder.

edited November 2020

A little update on the herb spiral...

My transplants are coming along nicely.

The book book choy, rouge d'hiver, and masculine mix seedlings are germinating.

The cucumbers, dill, and tomatoes (that I rooted on my kitchen window sill of course , if you saw my other thread) are all looking dapper!

I am continuing to use my little bamboo tee-pees to protect seeds as the germinate. You can see them over the cucumbers on the left. They have really proven helpful against nighttime diggers like armadillos and possums (I posted about them a long time ago).

The rosemary stands tall up top.

And the coneflower that I was able to work around loves all the new company apparently!!

I am so happy to have repurposed my rocks. I just love them.

My Jerusalem artichoke was the photo bomb!!😂😂

• AcequiamadreAcequiamadre Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

Because I live is a desert climate, the herb spiral is not as effective: the dirt becomes too dried out. Instead, I am pulling from another pattern in nature and creating an herb garden in the shape of a leaf (okay, the garden is already in the shape of a leaf, I am riffing on that by using a main path with branches into the different parts of the garden. You have inspired me to raise up my rosemary if it gets too wet with our flood irrigation.

Love how your coneflower is happy and watching over the new plantings.

Sounds interesting - take a photo when you have it together!! I would love to see it.

The coneflower is super pretty :-)